dart frogs

I am quickly getting sidetracked to Red eyed tree frogs. I've been fascinated by them for a long time. I need to find a good source for them. I suspect that the basic habitat requirements are similar to poison dart frogs.

The main thing that turned me off of red eyed tree frogs is they are nocturnal. I don't really know much about them though.

The main thing that turned me off of red eyed tree frogs is they are nocturnal. I don't really know much about them though.

exactly... just like any other pet... do your research and see what best fits your interest and ability. I'm stuck on ranitomeya varadero. They are a thumbnail species which full grown is literally the size of your thumbnail or a quarter or silver dollar.

Actual tree frogs get very large(2-4") and they are not very active like Mike said. There are some species that are very arboreal(loves climbing) and others that are not. So based on your tank setup, really depends on whats species you should buy.

How active are dart frogs? Those that I saw in the past are either hiding or very stationary unlike the frogs in Mike's video.

It varies by species I think but the leucomelas (bumblebee) frogs I have are very active. The ones in the video I have only had for a couple of weeks and they hid a lot the first few days but they are coming out most of the time now. The ones I have had since March are very active and always out in the open.

Most of the tree frogs I have seen in pet stores are stuck to the side of the aquarium and asleep.

Thank you, Mike. I would like to have some frogs that are not always asleep or hiding. I think someone mentioned here that tinctorius species are more out in the open. I am trying to find out more about them.

Being a planted tank enthusiast, I am drawn to the beauty of an aquarium and a terrarium with living things kept in it. As long as my critters are healthy and alive, I don't mind seeing them asleep on the glass or a tree, although I admit that seeing a big blob always stuck to the front glass of a terrarium would not be amusing.

Luckily my family are quite understanding of my hobby as long as I keep my cultures (just bugs to them) under control. I am sure that a pretty terrarium with interesting frogs will be a welcome addition to my home.

I got some bromeliads and small ferns from Lowes, some plants from petsmart, and some java moss and an anubis from our FW aquarium.

Thanks, Michael.

I was eyeing a tube of Bolbitis at Petsmart the other day as a matter of fact.
I hope to use some aquatic plants such as Java moss, Anubias, etc. out of my tank, too.

Oh, I almost forgot, I ordered a couple of mini cattleya orchids from Josh's Frogs too. I am wanting to get another for my new tank I just built for the ventrimaculatus.

I usually just wash them off really well but I have heard of people submerging them in some water with a little bleach in it to kill any possible pathogens. I will admit that I did forget to wash the plants before putting them in my last terrarium but haven't noticed any problems so far.

Hi y'all,

I had a wonderful surprise yesterday! It made me so happy that I decided to share it with you all here, too.

Recently I lost a female varadero due to an unfortunate accident. I got a new female today - a special delivery from a special friend. My male varadero is so happy to have a mate again that he had not stopped calling since this afternoon! I even saw a new female follow the male deep into a bromeliad. The match making was a great success!

Then, it happened. All of a sudden I saw three frogs, or rather two frogs and a froglet! Unbeknownst to me, my male and his previous mate have been raising a baby.

For the past week or so, I was wondering why my single male was shrinking in size. I checked the moisture level in the tank (which was good) and made sure that he was fed well with lots of fruit flies and springtails. Well, now I know.

Hey my name is Sharon I am looking to add some more frogs to my terrarium, let me know what's up.. My number is 7065807996

Back