dart frogs

Luecs do best in groups. I never could get springtails to colonize in my tanks. The frogs seemed to always find them and snack on them. I only kept them do my froglets. Also if anyone needs to know about pulling eggs or setting up an incubator. I have had luecs tincs and auratus breed and produce froglets.

Well, I got a viv yesterday. Possibly for dart frogs, possibly for tree frogs. I don't know yet. I need to redo the bottom before anything goes in. Also waiting until we move into our house to get any livestock.

P1010016.jpg

Here is a picture of the whole vivarium with the humidifier on. I put a valve on it so it doesn't just fill the tank up with fog in a few seconds.

DSC01802.jpg

This is the small stream I made. I put a turtle filter on it that is basically a miniature canister filter.

DSC01800.jpg

Here is one of the frogs and a cool mushroom that popped up this morning.

DSC01799.jpg

And here is the other frog hanging out on the back wall.
DSC01797.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good considering how little time I spent on it.

awesome mike! what did make your stream bed out of? I am redoing the bottom of my tank and want to do a stream. I was thinking of just making a stream bed out of great stuff. Also does great stuff have to be sealed in this application like it does for SW tank rock walls?

I pretty much just did a strip of black great stuff and after it dried I carved a "V" in it and lined it with small rocks. I'm hoping it doesn't need sealed because I didn't.

Have any of you ordered frogs from LLLReptile before? I noticed they have CB leucs 3 for $99 and several other types of frogs. I have ordered a few things from them before for chameleons but never live animals.

I've never odered from them but If you've ordered from them before, I wouldn't hesitate to

I wished you were closer mike I would order with u and split the shipping ... But as far as u are it would defeat the purpose of saving money

What are you interested in? I was thinking of having them delivered on Friday when my wife will be here. I would probably be going through Nashville on Saturday to go flying or something. If you wanted something I have several 10 gal. tanks I could hold them overnight in if you want. If I got off early on Friday I might could even head that way then.

I would order some leucs too... I got one from Angela a couple weeks ago... Looking to get a friend for it.

But I'm gonna be out of town Saturday ... So just go ahead with your order ... I'll order myself a little later

How are you guys dusting fruit flies and what are you using? I have been dusting crickets with Herptivite and calcium but I can't figure out how to dust the flies and get them out without pouring all the supplements out too. :D

32oz deli cup with supplements first.... Shake it up so the sides of the cups is dusty looking ....if u have too much supplement left from coating the cup pour it back in the container.... Pour the flies the cup they won't be able to climb out now...then drop in a pinch of whatever your supplement... They don't need much to be coated.... If they look like snowmen then it's probably too much

Cool, I'll try that. I went ahead and ordered 3 more leucs. I can have my father in law sign for them when they come. I figured I better get them while they are available.

Well, I just realized my FF cultures are crawling with mites! I got these from the Critter and don't know if they were infected like that when I got them or not. It might explain the itching I have had on my arms since I got the frogs though. I just found out about them and went and checked and while looking at them my arms started itching again. I have been doing some research and it seems some people are allergic to them. I have ordered a culturing kit from Josh's frogs that has the mite spray and all so hopefully I can keep my new cultures from getting infected.

good thing it's mites and not a culture crash...u should still be able to use the culture to feed from until your new ones come in

and be sure u dont forget to to spray the mitespray once a month....they can show up pretty easily especially since its easily forgotten..i had to set an alert on my phone just so i can remember

Wow this thread is still going!

Though I would throw up some images of my tank.

IMG_3024.jpg

My tank, all 5 Leucs are hiding.

IMG_3021.jpg

Closeup of the frog's cocohut and lawn.

IMG_2852.jpg

Two of the frogs last fall. The larger one is the female and the smaller one is the male. When the female is ready to mate she "pesters" the male by following him around until he gives in. This includes hopping up next to him and rubbing his back, pretty cool to see.

Below are the two tadpoles I have raised. One is a frogglet, about a month old and the other is morphing out. As you can see below, they are still quite small.

IMG_3037.jpg

The Dave and Buster card is the size of a normal credit card.

IMG_3038.jpg

To get a sense of scale, you can see the recycle symbol on the bottom of the container.

... When the female is ready to mate she "pesters" the male by following him around until he gives in. This includes hopping up next to him and rubbing his back, pretty cool to see.

That's interesting. I do the same thing to my wife.

:eek2:

Hehe... j/k

Brandon

Angela, thanks for the tip on mite prevention. I tend to stretch my culture a little too long. It has bit me in the butt a few times and had to either drive the 1.5 hour round trip to Critter or ship cultures next day air (winter) from Josh Frogs.

I'll try to rotate my cultures quickly for a couple of months and see it they do away.

Mike,

I sometimes feel the itch after handling the cultures, I have always though it was a mental thing though. With regards to dusting the frogs, I agree with gsusfreak, if they look like snowmen then it is too much.

I find that if you put the cup at an angle and tap it rather than tip it, the flies will come out before the supplement. I use three supplements: calcium, vitamins and SuperPig. SuperPig is a color enhancer, now I haven't seen it make a difference but the frogs seem to eat these flies with more enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Back