DAS skimmer club

It would be pretty normal for the bubble breaking point to be lower after you do any cleaning of the skimmer or tank or have your hand in the tank. Certain foods and supplements will also affect the skimmer for a while.

yes the impeller can sin backwards if u dont clean the flap inside the housing. if the flap gets stuck the impeller can spin the wrong way.

how long does it usually take for the EX1 to break in? I am highly pleased to be getting skimmate that needs to be changed every two to three days...but it's not too dark...I hope this is due to the set up and the newness of the set up.

When I move it over to the new tank it will be fed directly from the overflow...But even so I would like to know if there is another reason for not getting dark skimmate yet?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12809777#post12809777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by daveonbass
how long does it usually take for the EX1 to break in? I am highly pleased to be getting skimmate that needs to be changed every two to three days...but it's not too dark...I hope this is due to the set up and the newness of the set up.

When I move it over to the new tank it will be fed directly from the overflow...But even so I would like to know if there is another reason for not getting dark skimmate yet?

If you are getting enough skimmate to empty it in just 2-3 days then you may be skimming too wet. Check your water level without the pump running and make sure it is just below the collar and then adjust the air so that the bubbles are breaking about mid way up the collection cup column. If that is the way you have it adjusted then I'd lower the initial bubble breaking point.

Right after emptying mine it usually takes several hours for the bubbles to start making their way back up the column so if I adjust it right away to get the bubbles up then after a couple of hours it will really be skimming too wet.

Also remember that lighter skimmate doesnt mean that you arent effectively skimming. It just means that you are pulling more water with the skimmate. So dont sweat it while you are tuning the skimmer, you are still skimming effectively. If you have a gate valve on the output, just open it bvery slightly to lower water level. Otherwise, you can just slightly decrease input flow or turn the air down a little ... whatever lowers the bubble breaking point will generally decrease the skimmate which should mean less water and more concentrated skimmate. But you do have to play some with the air and water mix to tune for most efficient skimming in terms of wet or dry and amount ... its a balance thing.

I would rather skim a little wet and not miss anything than try and skim too dry and maybe not be skiiming all I can out. So much depends on the bioload in the tank as well. Tanks that have heavier concentrations of organics that build up faster will have more skiimate or darker skimmate than lighter bioload tanks.

I know that some here dont agree or dont see the need but a gate valve on the output makes tuning so much easier and also allows much larger range of flow through rates. You must lower the position of the output "T" if you add a gate valve on the output. There also is a way to do it where you can completely retain the existing output piping in stock condition. You can build a new output from half of the union on the output on up by buying a Spears union. This way you can return the output to total stock condition, grey pipe and all.

replacement pump

replacement pump

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement pump for the BX-1? I own one fully functional unit and I got the other as a hand-me-down, but it did not have the pump included. I've seem replacements for the stock pump online, but they're pretty pricey!

just ordered an ex1, getting ready to plumb it in. i don't have a sump, just a dt with a raised fuge. i was feeding my old skimmer with an mj1200 sitting about 3" below the water line in the dt. i'd like to feed it from an overflow, but then how do i get the water up into the fuge? do i need to feed the output into a pump, or should i overflow into a pump (that'll be fun to plumb), then put the skimmer at the fuge's level and move the water in that way?

I'm using a DX2 on my heavy bio load 125 with no issues at all ... it rocks!

Search ebay, thats where i got mine for $400

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12967291#post12967291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kolosy
just ordered an ex1, getting ready to plumb it in. i don't have a sump, just a dt with a raised fuge. i was feeding my old skimmer with an mj1200 sitting about 3" below the water line in the dt. i'd like to feed it from an overflow, but then how do i get the water up into the fuge? do i need to feed the output into a pump, or should i overflow into a pump (that'll be fun to plumb), then put the skimmer at the fuge's level and move the water in that way?

The easiest way would be to set the skimmer up to drain into your fuge. Just feed the skimmer with the MJ you are using now.

I received my EX-2 and began the vinegar breakin process. While do so, I noticed that the impellers do not spin freely on the shaft the way that my H&S aquabee impellers do.
I assume they should spin freely so I "worked" them a bit and they are better but not great. Anyoneelse notice this?

FEEDING EX-2

FEEDING EX-2

Ideally I would like to feed the skimmer with one of the return lines from my tank.

What are the cons from doing it this way? I see everyone else feeds it via pump.

Thanks so much.

Back