DAS skimmer club

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13737749#post13737749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by in2deep
I broke the collection cup (dropped on concrete floor and shattered) for my EX-1 and went to order one from the Petorama website but they don't list a cup for the EX models. is it because it is the same exact cup from the BX-1 model that they do list?

If anybody has a spare cup to sell I would be interested.
Thanks.

This is just an educated guess but since the BX-1 and EX-1 necks are both 3" and both models cups use the bayonet mount, my guess would be that they both use the same cup. But again, just a guess.

Call one of the stores. If they dont know, they would be able to find out easily by physically trying the BX cup on the EX skimmer ... assuming that both models are in stock at the store location.

I have a DAS EX-2. I recently took the pumps off and ran them in vinegar water. Since putting it all back together, I noticed a small leak at the bottom of one of my pumps. There is an Oring seal there that seems to be in good conditon, but even after tightening the wedge screw thing, it still leaks. Has anyone else had this particular problem? If so, did you get a new O ring from DAS, or go somewhere else? Did you use a silicone of some kind? Any help would be welcome.

Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13747513#post13747513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WDWDen
I have a DAS EX-2. I recently took the pumps off and ran them in vinegar water. Since putting it all back together, I noticed a small leak at the bottom of one of my pumps. There is an Oring seal there that seems to be in good conditon, but even after tightening the wedge screw thing, it still leaks. Has anyone else had this particular problem? If so, did you get a new O ring from DAS, or go somewhere else? Did you use a silicone of some kind? Any help would be welcome.

Thanks!

If the o-ring is really in good condition, take the o-ring out and clean it with some water and vinegar. Then reset it back into the pump. Hand tighten it, don't over tighten. Don't use any silicone, its not necessary and the next time you take the pump apart it will make relay hard to re-seal.

If the o-ring is in good shape,that should work.

Ok Matt, I will try that first. The O ring really does appear to be ok. There was some white stuff in the O ring slot that I cleaned out, so I'm hopeing it will be good.

Thanks for the reply.

I received my BX-2 today! :) The skimmer was just packed in a brown box with the skimmer dropped inside. The top and bottom of the box were packed well with bubble wrap. The sides were not padded at all. It's amazing it is in one piece. Having previously owned a Deltec Turbo skimmer, I can compare them well. All in all, it's about what I expected. The BX-2 is similar to the TS1060 but not exact. Aside from the octagonal features, the BX-2 is not as polished as it's more expensive cousin. Details like scratches and weld-on drips are plentiful. The Deltec comes with a media basket, where as the DAS has a sleeve for a carbon or phosphate pad. Not a big deal. The only detail that bugs me is that the reaction chamber does not fit tightly into the base, nor is the base level. I don't think the performance will suffer so I'm not too worried. I will try to get some pics tonight after the kids go to bed. :)

Anybody know for sure if the skimmer cups for the BX-1 and EX-1 are interchangable? The Petorama site only lists replacement cups for the BX series but not sure. They don't answer emails from I can tell.

DSCN1444.jpg

Dropped the BX-2 into a 20 long to break-in.

DSCN1443.jpg

DSCN1445.jpg

Carbon Pad

DSCN1446.jpg

Carbon pad slides in here

DSCN1447.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13766257#post13766257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by in2deep
Anybody know for sure if the skimmer cups for the BX-1 and EX-1 are interchangable? The Petorama site only lists replacement cups for the BX series but not sure. They don't answer emails from I can tell.

My guess is yes. Not 100% sure.

I just picked up a used ex-1 2 months ago
it is working real nice.guy I bought it from works at lfs here in NJ
I know for sure they sell these skimmer(new) in this lfs I see them all the time. I don't know if they have parts
here is the web site give them a call
i know they don't show the skimmer on there web site you'll have to call them
http://tropiquarium.com/

Last edited:
o and by the way I know the price of the ex-1 went from 285 to 335 at this lfs
I bought mine used for 100 bucks
I think that was a steal

I've owned my EX-1 for about 7 months now and I've been really happy with it. I've been keeping up with this forum have had a lot of help with setups. Until recently, I always thought that the more air, the better it would skim. So I would keep the air valve all the way open. But unit a couple of pages ago, I was reading about reefers keeping the air valve around the 1 or 2 o clock position. I tried it and WOW. I thought the skimmer worked well before, it's working so much better now. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone and hope helps other people who may read it.

I am surprised they still sell these . I am retiring mine after 6 years of use . I had the smaller model with one pump . 2 o'clock is correct for this skimmer . I can't dial mine in anymore .It must have a leak in the body . I can close the gate all the way and it will not flood or over flow on the weir plate ? I have no gripes about this skimmer at all . I bought mine used 6 years ago in mint condition and it was well worth it . I am glad to see they still exist . I will be ordering a different skimmer today and will keep the pump for a back up . That aquabee pump has outlived any other pump on my 7 year old tank . LOL

You can look in my gallery for a picture from 2004 . I will miss it .

Hey guys ... i am using a DAS ex-2 on my 125gal now for about a year and love it. I am now looking to upgrade to a 220gal and hoping to just add slightly to the bio-load. Do you guys think it will keep up? If not, can i just add an additional skimmer instead of buying one huge expensive monster?

Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13768731#post13768731 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by platax88
Hey guys ... i am using a DAS ex-2 on my 125gal now for about a year and love it. I am now looking to upgrade to a 220gal and hoping to just add slightly to the bio-load. Do you guys think it will keep up? If not, can i just add an additional skimmer instead of buying one huge expensive monster?

Thanks!

The EX-2 is rated for 250 gallons. You could add a small skimmer later if necessary.

DSCN1446.jpg

The only thing I didn't account for is the space required to change the cartidges. I need a minimum of 34" and I only have 27" under the stand. :(

Update: I realized why the mixing chamber was not level in the skimmer. The chamber itself was bent out of round. I called DAS and they were going to send me a new mixing chamber. I asked them to send a BX-1 instead. This way I can judge the size better for my 75g.

Do I go with the BX-1 or BX-2 for a 75g SPS tank? The BX-2 will skim proteins out faster but uses twice as much electricity. What to do??

My tank is finally up and running and my EX-3 is kicking butt. I have one question though. My collection cup won't fit easily onto the skimmer. I have to push it down pretty hard to get it in there, before I can twist it. Is that the way all the DAS skimmers are, or did I get a defective (bit too big) collection cup?

Back