DAS skimmer club

mine skimmers well though sometimes it stops skimming then starts skimming again. i don't touch the valve at all. its on a 58 gal tank so i think there's nothing to skim all the time. i could be wrong but it skims
real well. the cup is moded but I'd say I'd have to empty it ever 5-6 days. real dark stuff

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14015655#post14015655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coseal
does the "flap" in the volute move freely? mine has done this before. i hadnt cleanded it in 6 months and the flap was stuck. i think it keeps the pump from running backwards..

dumb question, but... what's a volute? and what flap are you referring to?

NOT SKIMMING

NOT SKIMMING

On the exhaust side of the motor(water out) if you take a flashlight and look in there is a triangular shaped flap that has to move sideways for these pumps to perform correctly.
They get stuck and have to be freed so they swing sideways freely when you move them by hand, ( I used a small screwdriver for leverage originally). Soak the pump in hot water first if it is very hard to move.
Hope this helps.
Vinny

Sanding

Sanding

Hyolee,
No worries, mine is external, but I have NEVER replaced an O ring and have run either an EX-2 for many years and now an EX-3.
I have however had leaks when the O ring or the slot on the body is not perfectly clean. I did get an extra ring with the EX-3 when delivered.

Also, did you make sure that the venturi is not clogged with salt or anything else (the nipple that the airline connects to at the pump).

Re: NOT SKIMMING

Re: NOT SKIMMING

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14017399#post14017399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vinny Kreyling
On the exhaust side of the motor(water out) if you take a flashlight and look in there is a triangular shaped flap that has to move sideways for these pumps to perform correctly.
They get stuck and have to be freed so they swing sideways freely when you move them by hand, ( I used a small screwdriver for leverage originally). Soak the pump in hot water first if it is very hard to move.
Hope this helps.
Vinny

thanks, the flap was definitely stuck to the far right. soaking right now, how this does it.

The Flap flips depending which was the wheel spins to allow for optimal output...having said that it should not cause the skimmer to act like that ?

Make sure there is nothing clogging the air hose or where the air hose connects on the pump .

nope, everything seem clear. after having freed up the flap, it's definitely generating more turbulence, but it's still not skimming. i've got the air on max, the water breaking point just below the top of the black cone, the foam comes within an inch of the top of the collection cup, but doesn't make it in.

if it makes sense, the bubbles look bigger than they used to. is it just a question of surface tension?

i'm rather stumped here... the skimmer used to work fairly well... i've had it for 6 months tops...

painkiller - i've got that going, but there's no foam building. the bubbles just seem too big. could it be a faulty pump? would this occur if it ... wasn't spinning fast enough or something?

I have to cut my air with the valve to get nice small bubbles.
If I open it all the way it will be bigger bubbles that don't work/skim as well.
I dont know how it is with the ex 1.

My skimmer makes big bubbles after I put my hand in the tank or feed oily foods like brine shrimp. just a thought.

yeah, i've heard of that, but it's been 24+ hours since i've cleaned and reassembled everything.

i'm considering replacing the eheim at this point.

I have been haveing problems with my ex-2. It was working fine, but then I was cleaning my tank and decided to clean the skimmer and dip the 2 pumps in vinegar water for awhile. When I put them back together, one of the pumps was leaking at the o-ring seal on the bottom of the pump. I took it apart and clean the ring and put some vinegar on the ring and put it back together. It leaked again. I tried it a few more times with no luck. The ring seemed to be fine though. Finally, I took a little liquid gasket stuff and put a thin bead along the oring and put it back together. Now, the pump will not work. It is humming, but there is no water movement at all. I took it apart and checked the little flapper valve mentioned earlier in this thread. I checked the air hole too. It all seems fine.

Did I burn out my pump somehow? I see that people rebuild these things, but I don't even see how you take them apart. There are no screws or bolts.

Any suggestions? If not, where can I order a new pump for this. I remember when I ordered my skimmer for petorama, they did not return emails. How can I order one?

Thanks for any help.

I have been haveing problems with my ex-2. It was working fine, but then I was cleaning my tank and decided to clean the skimmer and dip the 2 pumps in vinegar water for awhile. When I put them back together, one of the pumps was leaking at the o-ring seal on the bottom of the pump. I took it apart and clean the ring and put some vinegar on the ring and put it back together. It leaked again. I tried it a few more times with no luck. The ring seemed to be fine though. Finally, I took a little liquid gasket stuff and put a thin bead along the oring and put it back together. Now, the pump will not work. It is humming, but there is no water movement at all. I took it apart and checked the little flapper valve mentioned earlier in this thread. I checked the air hole too. It all seems fine.

Did I burn out my pump somehow? I see that people rebuild these things, but I don't even see how you take them apart. There are no screws or bolts.

Any suggestions? If not, where can I order a new pump for this. I remember when I ordered my skimmer for petorama, they did not return emails. How can I order one?

Thanks for any help.

You can order a new pump from petorama.net Click on the online store and just place your order. Good luck with emails. I have emailed them off and on 20 times. I did not get one reply back.

Gate Valve Mod: I didn't find any solid pictures but I think the gist of it is that the T has to be about 2" lower than the stock height?

Back