Dave's 15g Oceanic

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14788359#post14788359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquaticdiver
Thats a really sweet tank! I recently bought a Koralia Nano powerhead for my 10 gallon and it works better than what I expected.

Also what kind of lighting do you use?

I have been thinking about upgrading my lighting and I have some of the same corals you do so I am just wondering.

Thanks! I use a 24" CurrentUSA Orbit 2x65w PC setup. The actinics run about 12 hours and the daylight bulb runs about 6 hours in the middle of the day.

Today's water tests: SG 1.024, Ca 400, dKH 8

Topped off with a little saltwater today, and will continue doing so until I get to 1.026.

LFS tested my magnesium this past Tuesday and it was 1150. A little low but not terrible. I'd like to get that up so I get some better coralline growth. Any tips?

The Koralia showed up on my porch yesterday. I'm waiting to install it when my cutting board shows up so I can do everything at once. ALTHOUGH I might go ahead and get it in to make sure it works before doing the switch.

Here are a couple of fun shots:

This is how I know my harlequin shrimp is hungry... I see him out and about. He was nice and posed for me:

040909_0002.jpg

040909_0010.jpg

I got him a chocolate chip star and about a day and a half later this is how much damage he has done:

041209_0000.jpg

Here is something you don't see everyday:

041309_0000.jpg

The star managed to get to the glass and the Harley is riding it. Right before I snapped the shot a orange claw hermit was riding it too.

My wife was like "awww".

Circle of life, baby!

And... the best news:

Scott (Aquarium Specialty) told be today he talked to Warner Marine and they will be shipping me the only production model WM currently has in stock. I'll be the first to get my grubby hands on the next generation H1 skimmer!

Be very jealous!

Scott, you are the man!

So, tomorrow will be very busy! I'll be taking everything out of my tank and putting it into tubs. Then I have to drain the water, get all the sand out of the tank, and then reverse the process.

I am hoping to be able to do everything in an hour or so.

I'll also be installing the Koralia Nano I got last week at this time.

This should do it for tank work until the Vortech MP10 gets here. :D

OK!

So I made the switch. Took about an hour and a half total. Here are some pictures:

5 minutes after completing the move... actinics only, and very cloudy!

041509_0007.jpg

Six hours later... full lights, the water has cleared pretty well.

041509_0008.jpg

Detail showing the "trench" between the glass and the board.

041509_0009.jpg

Couple of shots showing detritus that is falling off the rocks. One I have more flow this won't be so much of an issue I think. Already I have a lot piling into the trench.

041509_0011.jpg

041509_0012.jpg

All in all the move went well. I planned on getting the damsels out of the tank at this time... I wasn't thinking and threw them into the tub with everything else.

When I put the rocks back into the tank one of the damsels hitchhiked back into the tank!

So for now he gets to stay for a bit. Eventually I will need to get him out. The other made a car trip to the LFS.

I am very happy with the way the tank looks now, although I am thinking it will look a lot better once I get the Vortech in there and can ditch the wavebox which takes up so much room.

I may also get rid of the huge rock on the left with the red mushrooms on it. I may frag off one or two of them but the rock itself needs to go, its too huge and I need room for some more LPS!

Here are some shots I took today:

Halymenia:
041609_0017.jpg

Baby shroom on a snail shell:
041609_0016.jpg

Some zoas:
041609_0015.jpg

Clove polyps and zoas:
041609_0014.jpg

Hey everything is looking really good. Why did you switch to a bb though. And is there any reason why you have the "trench" thing going on ?

Thanks!

I switched because I don't care for the look of sand, and the small amount I had in the tank wasn't doing anything filtration-wise anyway.

The "trench" is to keep the board off the silicone. It also serves as a nice place for detritus to collect so I can suck it up during water changes.

I've got equipment changes in the works... the Remora will be replaced with a Warner Marine H1 and the Tunze Nano Wavebox will be replaced by a Vortech MP 10.

I'm always on the lookout for coral additions. :D

I plan on getting some more Favia and starting on some Acans very soon.

Back