Deltec based DIY skimmer

Cheapreef

I've been wanting to try out a Deltec based skimmer for a while now, so while i was building my new sump i thought "what better time".:D A buddy gave me his old DIY venturi skimmer after i sold him my DIY beckett, so that's what i used. I just didn't want to go spend any money on anther project that i might not finish/or work. For those interested i took quit a few pics as i built it so could post some build up pics and messurements if anybody wants. Just remember this was a bunch of used stuff and only spent a day wipping together.

Here's what it looked like when i got it
Picture_016.jpg

Here's what i ended up with.
Picture_061.jpg

And this is it in my new DIY sump.(30gal Cube tank)
Picture_057.jpg

Clinton

achilles1 said:
Nice, Does it work pretty good?

Not sure yet, i'll have it running on my tank latter tonight. Here is a pic with only one pump working in Freshwater, looks like it should work great.:)

Picture_048.jpg

Clinton

where or how did you make the piece that sorta looks like a funnel on on top of the main chamber?

B the way Awesome work, cant wait to see how it works.

Also did you modify the maxijets yrouself?

The "funnel" shape is a piece of acylic i heated and formed. It's made from 1/8" used a 6" coffee can and a 3" piece of cardboard tube. Heated it with a propane torch and press down on the tube so it's recessed about an 1 1/2". And yeah i modified the maxijets myself, just cut up a bioball to form the pin wheel. Here are a few pcs of the top and the union type fitting i built.

This is how i formed the top.
Picture_004.sized.jpg

This is what i used for the union. Standerd threded 4" pvc cap and threaded end.
Picture_019.sized.jpg

Next 2 are what i ended up with.
Picture_027.sized.jpg

Picture_030.sized.jpg

And here's what i used to make the 2 venturis for the maxijets.
Picture_021.sized.jpg

Clinton

very cool, i tried forming somethign like that with some acrylic i had but i tried with 1/4" and it just did not work. ill give the 1/8 a try though.

oh one more thing, ive also tried using the cap and plug as aunion, dont you have to gorilla it to get it off? pvc threads are tapered so they get super tight no?

Oh yeah, forgot. Here's a pic of the bubble size and density after hooking it up. It's only been up for 3 hours so i'll take some more pics tomorrow or the next day when it breaks in.:)

Picture_067.jpg

Clinton

PRRD said:
oh one more thing, ive also tried using the cap and plug as aunion, dont you have to gorilla it to get it off? pvc threads are tapered so they get super tight no?

I pushed the 3" acrylic tube throught the top (cap) about 3/8" so it bottoms out befor the cap tightens. The tube makes a tight (water tight apparently) seal against he top of the reaction chamber. I tought i would have to make a gasket, but it turns out i don't.:)

Clinton

Looking good!

Can we have a look at the pinwheel you used, how you make it?

How did you put the venturi together?

Here's how i did the venturi, the parts used are
1/2" barb to slip joint fitting(gray fitting)
tip from a silicone tube (screw on type)
1/4" 90 deg (from garden section home depot)
section o 1/2" pvc

Here is the parts cut and readdy to go into the pvc. They are justpush fit as i wanted to be able to take all this apart if it didn't work.:) The barb fitting is 1 3/8" long, silicone tube end 2 /34" long and the pvc is 3 1/4" long
Picture_024.sized.jpg

Picture_025.sized.jpg

Picture_038.sized.jpg

Here is the 1/4" 90deg i used, you have to take the barb down on one side to fit it in the hole you drill.
Picture_036.sized.jpg

Drill a 5/32" hole 3/16" up from the barb fitting end of the pvc, once everything is pushed together firmly.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album18/Picture_039.sized.jpg[img]

And here it is all put together, the end that goes over the pump input had to be heated slitly to fit. Just heat it with a lighter ect just till it softens and push it on so it's a snug fit.
[img]http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album18/Picture_034.sized.jpg

Clinton

new stuff?? huh i haven't gotten anythign new in forever...and i haven't DIY'ed in a LONG time :( :( too much school and not enough play time :(

Lunchbucket

The output of the pump also has to be moded to fit. The 1/2" pvc is pushed over a piece of 1/2" vinyl tube and heated. Tighten a hose clamp over it so it's just firm, let it cool down and remove the clamp and you'll have a snug air tight fit that can be removed later. Vinyl tube is 3/4" long and the 1/2" tube is 2 1/2" long.

Picture_031.sized.jpg

Picture_040.sized.jpg

Picture_032.sized.jpg

Here is a few pics of the moded bioball for the pinwheel. I don't have a pic of the the piwheel mounted to the impeller sorry.:( Just forgot to take the pic, but it just get's pushed on is all i did. Cut one side of the pin off and sand it flat, then cut the other side down so the total heigth is 3/8" and drill a hole in the center to match the impeller shaft.

Picture_072.sized.jpg

Picture_073.sized.jpg

Clinton

Last edited:
And here is the foam production after 12 hours or so. It's hard to tell but it's actually spilled over into the cup a bit, so it's working well.:) Haven't had the chance to build a lid yet so that's why the 1/8" acrylic laying on top.;)

Picture_069.sized.jpg

Picture_070.sized.jpg

Clinton

Back