Deltec based DIY skimmer

I understand your method I just think if your going to use nice acrylic tube you might as well do it right. Take your two 14" tubes and make a dual stage ca reactor, and get a 30" length for your skimmer. If looks don't matter, why not just go real thrifty and use white pvc for the skimmer main body.? You can still use clear for the second riser and view the bubbles there. I must admit that looks do matter to me but if they aren't important to others I don't know why they would make the first riser clear.

Just my two cents.

Also, there is no reason why a 3 to 4 foot tall skimmer need be made from cast tubing. Unless you are drilling and tapping the extruded is just fine and much cheaper.

Interesting design, thanks for all the info.

Here is another idea you can add to your original drawing. It is a simple mod that allows you to regulated the skimmer out put, if the skimmer should take off and start over producing, so that it doesn't over flow all over the ground.

You don't need to have a special sealed container with a ball float valve as sold by many skimmer manufacturers.

I discovered this by accident.

I built a 20" high 4" pvc skimmate container with an over flow at the top that would allow the skimmate to flow back into my fuge in an emergency if i didn't empty it in time.

Out of my sealed Precision Marine skimmer cup , I took the drain and put a hose into the skimmate over flow container. If you extend the hose so that it is a couple of inches below the emergency overflow, here is what happens as it fills.

When the skimmate fills up to the bottom of the hose it starts to bubble. By the time it is about an inch over the bottom of the hose, it is bubbling loudly and making a very noticeable racket. An automatic alarm to empty the container.

But even if you don't empty the container, the back pressure from the hose in the fluid slows the skimmer production down. When the fluid level gets a couple of inches over the bottom of the hose, skimmate virtually stops flowing. It acts as an automatic flow controller.

Simple but very effective flow control, with a cheap alarm to boot. You will never come home after a long week end and find skimmate all over your floor.:rollface:

Your skimmer cup needs to be sealed and have a drain for this to work.

A few photos to make the above easier to follow.

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

Before anyone asks or comments...no my skimmate is not normally clear. I just cleaned out the cup, and also.....

I had an out break of some cyanobacteria and added the chemicals to kill it.....boy does that stuff cause foam in the skimmer. I filled that overflow container 4 times before it stopped foaming.

Rather than have your whole bucket of skimate dump back into your system why not do as I do and install an overflow riser to your normal gate valved return. This arrangement prevents rapid filling of your waste container due to an overflowing skimmer. Once the liquid (not foam) level exceeds the collection cup riser it exits through the overflow riser rather than overflowing your collection cup and back into your system. This overflowing water is skimmed water rather than skimate. Since a skimmers liquid level is usually considerably bellow the collection cup, only if a bad adjustment is done will it actually be used.
If you have a problem with forgeting to empty the waste bucket occasionally...well that's just basic duties.

Attachments

• overflow protection.jpg
    overflow protection.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
Adjusting the gate valve or over flow height is a manual adjustment you need to make if you see your skimmate is too wet.

With submerged discharge in the overflow container, nothing goes over my overflow back into the tank.

It doesn't stop the skimmer action totally. It just makes a very dry skimmate as it slows down the volume of air going through the skimmer. It is automatic, no manual adjustment of a valve or over flow height is needed.

ldrhawke said:
Interesting design, thanks for all the info.

Here is another idea you can add to your original drawing. It is a simple mod that allows you to regulated the skimmer out put, if the skimmer should take off and start over producing, so that it doesn't over flow all over the ground.

I was refering to this statement.
In a situation where your skimmer "takes off" you're not filling your waste collector with clean water and therefore in no danger of overflowing "all over the ground" unless of course you just forget to empty your skimate container as normally needed.

ldrhawke said:
I built a 20" high 4" pvc skimmate container with an over flow at the top that would allow the skimmate to flow back into my fuge in an emergency if i didn't empty it in time.

This statement lead me to believe that your skimmate would indeed be overflowing into your system. Did I miss something?

Newflee said:
This statement lead me to believe that your skimmate would indeed be overflowing into your system. Did I miss something?

Yes....If you take the above statment out of context by not including or reading the rest of what I wrote....

But even if you don't empty the container, the back pressure from the hose in the fluid slows the skimmer production down. When the fluid level gets a couple of inches over the bottom of the hose, skimmate virtually stops flowing. It acts as an automatic flow controller.

Simple but very effective flow control, with a cheap alarm to boot. You will never come home after a long week end and find skimmate all over your floor.

Sorry but I didn't take it out of context...I didn't feel I needed to quote your whole post. Considering the fact that skimmate is extremely highly concentrated waste I wouldn't be happy if it's reintroduction to the system were "virtually stopped" or "slowed".

I'm not being a jerk or wanting to get into flaming but I'm only reading what you have written in the context that it is presented.

If it works for you that's all that counts.

OK this is what I did. I got a great deal on a 7" diameter x 24" acrylic tube so I am using that instead. I went with a 6" x 6" collection cup and a 10" square sump.

Hey Cheapreef - I am getting ready to build this and was wondering how tall did you end up making the return pipe? You had mentioned the reaction chamber is 13" is the return 13" .

Partly tagging along on this one.

johnism said:
I was also wondering what has been the best way you have found to drill 1/2" wholes in acrylic pipe?

I use a forstner bit in a drill press. with good results. I actually drill with a 3/4" bit and tap the hole with a 1/2" pipe tap.

djfrankie said:
I see your skimmer sits inside the sump in this setup. I'm contemplating something similar for my 180, but I'd like to have it mounted externally. I will like to build it out of PVC and just have a cross section of acrylic where I can view the bubble reaction.

I have built a skimmer just like you considered. I used 8" pvc and I have an acrylic window about 3"x6" that I can observe the foam in. I have not yet tested it.

djfrankie said:
I have decided for my skimmer to use Eheim pumps instead of the maxijets that are not designed for external use. The Eheims cost more but are very reliable and don't leak when used externally.

Which pump did you choose? One or two? Any pics?

Did you make a needle-wheel for the impeller? Can it be done on the Ehiem's?

Did you consider the Sedra pumps? I know eheim is pretty hard to beat, but the sedra's seem to be very popular on skimmers for some reason.

Back