Deltec based DIY skimmer

LOL - glad to hear.

i hope to soon DIY a mazzei skimmer...so will have to see how that works out for me

Lunchbucket

i was showing my finacee something on RC and you posted in that thread...she thought that you were me..w/ that pic in you avitar :D

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket said:
i was showing my finacee something on RC and you posted in that thread...she thought that you were me..w/ that pic in you avitar :D

Lunchbucket

You mean i have a triplet! :eek1: That's funny.:rollface:

Clinton

yeah i figured the angel is what did it. she thought we could maybe pass :D

DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT TAKING THE WOMAN ;)

Lunchbucket

Cheapreaf -

Just a few questions for you. I'm looking at your pictures and trying to figure out exactly how your skimmer works. Tell me if I'm getting this straight.

It looks like you have two seperate pumps running in a closed loop fashion in your skimmer, each with a venturi fitting at the intake. Inside of each of the pumps you have replaced the impeller with a small piece of bio ball which further whips the air/water mixture into foam. I'm assuming that there is also a third pump which pumps water into the skimmer.

Is this correct?

-Erik

Also, would you recommend this design over a conventional venturi skimmer which uses a dedicated pump for skimmer flow with the venturi on its output?

Cheapreef,
I copied your venturi and scaled it to fit my Mag 9.5. Man, it puts out a lot of tiny bubbles, even without the homemade needle wheel! I used saltwater from the coast and filled a 30 gal rubbermaid tote, turned on the pump and that baby was frothing! Thanks for the plans!!!

Great job!!!

Just wondering, how did you attach the "BioBall Pinwheel" to the powerhead? Did you glue the Bioball to the shaft of the impeller.

Did you take out the impeller and just have the bioball spin?

One again, great job.

whirley

Nice job Clinton, where do you guys buy your acrylic from? I'd like to build a new skimmer to replace my cc. Rich.

Do you have any good LFS up there? I would be willing to drive for a boo. Have you ever been to Wai's on 16th Ave here? My favorite. Rich.

erik921 said:
Have you found any drawbacks to having the skimmer plumbed directly into your overflow?
Nope. And i'm not sure about the difference in proformance, i just know i's about the best working skimmer i've built and it's really quite.

Clinton

Lt Hudson USMC said:
Cheapreef,
I copied your venturi and scaled it to fit my Mag 9.5. Man, it puts out a lot of tiny bubbles, even without the homemade needle wheel! I used saltwater from the coast and filled a 30 gal rubbermaid tote, turned on the pump and that baby was frothing! Thanks for the plans!!!

No problem, glad it workd for you.:)

Clinton

whirley said:
Great job!!!

Just wondering, how did you attach the "BioBall Pinwheel" to the powerhead? Did you glue the Bioball to the shaft of the impeller.

Did you take out the impeller and just have the bioball spin?

One again, great job.

whirley

Drilled a hole in the bioball one size smaller than the shaft and krazy glued it when i forced it over. Yeah i took the impeller right out.

Clinton

Back