Deltec based DIY skimmer

Careful with the Uni seals. I've used them several times now, and they are TIGHT! Drill the hole slightly oversize so you dont crack the plastic when shoving the pipe in. We are not sealing 150 psi...
I use a little soap on the pipe, then rinse well when its in.
FWIW,
Chris

The only problem I'm having is finding 8" Extruded acrylic...I see Usplastic has the 8", but it's rather expensive at the 6' mark.

Anyone know where I can get about 4' of 8" extruded?

I believe 1/8 thick would be good enough since this is the size Deltec and ER use on their own skimmers.

djfrankie

OK guys what do you think of this design....

10" by 15" box/sump with a pair of 6" x 10" risers with collection cups. A 350 GPH feed pump and a MAGDRIVE 950 attached to the side modded with a needlewheel impeller and a venturi valve on the inlet side. The outlet of the 950 would be split into two returns back into the skimmer body, one under each riser tube. The Needle wheel will be made out of a 2", 1/8" thick acrylic disc with a bunch of 1/8" and 1/16" diameter pieces of 1cm long acrylic rod mounted on it's face. Here's a pic....comments welcome.

Attachments

• newskimmerdesign.jpg
    newskimmerdesign.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
Might work, but you might be asking to much of the mag9.5. The flow will be cut almost in half with the neddle wheel impeller. Try it out see how it works.;)

Clinton

I think I may be trying to do a little too much here :) Maybe I should concentrate on a single reaction chamber with this one....Do you think the MAG950 would be more effective than a pair of MJ1200's

kentrob11 said:
I think I may be trying to do a little too much here :) Maybe I should concentrate on a single reaction chamber with this one....Do you think the MAG950 would be more effective than a pair of MJ1200's

Should be, i would do a single chamber twicw as high if you can.

Clinton

Now that I can do. Will a 6" regular PVC coupling work on the 6" 1/8"wall acrylic tubing? I wonder how I could connect 2 15" acrylic tubes :)

kentrob11

Depends upon the size of your system. I was going to use the 9.5 for a 170 gal system. Deltec uses a 602 gph pump for a heavily stocked 222 gal aq. I changed my plans and an going with the Quiet One 3000. (if it works)

This is going on a moderately heavily stocked 240 with a 40gallon refugium....I would love to go the 30"x6" riser if I can find a way to attatch the 2 15" lengths together...

SO do you think there is such a thing as too high? Would a 30" riser make it difficult for the foam to make it to the top or would I just have to raise the water level?

Might put to much pressure on the pump, but i dout it the only way to know is to try it out. ;) You'll just have to raise the water level to the base of the riserr tube.

Clinton

I'd glue a flange on both ends of the tubes to join them. Then you can disassemble it easily for cleaning or modification.
You could mock it up with 6" pvc to get your working height, then when satisfied, glue up the pretty acrylic.
Chris

What kind of flange? Are we talking the plain ole PVC one or a DIY acrylic one with nylon screws and stuff?

They are a PITA to make so I got a bunch CNC machined out for me. They cost a few bucks but they are beautifull.

Lee

kentrob11
If you want to joint the acrylic tube, I was planning on taking the 2-14" pieces I have, cutting a 1" ring off of one of the ends. Then cut a 1/8" slice horizontally, making a C. I plan on inserting this inside the tube at the joint and then gluing. You could also put the C on the outside instead, but you will have to cut and extra ring, for a 1/4" section to make up the difference in the distance of the outside. Just a thought.

Lt Hudson USMC said:
kentrob11
If you want to joint the acrylic tube, I was planning on taking the 2-14" pieces I have, cutting a 1" ring off of one of the ends. Then cut a 1/8" slice horizontally, making a C. I plan on inserting this inside the tube at the joint and then gluing. You could also put the C on the outside instead, but you will have to cut and extra ring, for a 1/4" section to make up the difference in the distance of the outside. Just a thought.

The amount of effort to do this without having the whole thing look like a mess far exceeds the effort required to make flanges.

Back