Deltec based DIY skimmer

Awesome diy Cheapreef!

I see your skimmer sits inside the sump in this setup. I'm contemplating something similar for my 180, but I'd like to have it mounted externally. I will like to build it out of PVC and just have a cross section of acrylic where I can view the bubble reaction.

Could you give me some advice:

Are the maxijets leakproof when mounted externally?
What size reaction chamber would you recommend for a 180 SPS?
How many pumps?
I noticed you didn't glue the venturi section, doesnt that leak when power comes off?

Thanks for your help and ideas on this design.

djfrankie

Last edited:
Do you know the specs on the skimmer itself? Diamter and height?

I printed the info a few days ago but couldn't find any specs related to them though.

thanks,
djfrankie

All correct.:) I'm not sure on the out of sump skimmer never wanted one. But i do know the mavijets wont like to be out of water. They will heat up pretty badly.

Clinton

Would any of these venturi or pinwheel mods work on a Remora? I have the maxijet 1200 and the HOT Remora. It is a great skimmer now, anyway to improve on it?

I don't think it would work all that well, you'd loose a lot of the pressure need to make the spray injection work properly.

Clinton

Awesome diy! Just a few questions.
1) Total cost?
2) What diameter of tube should be used for a 55 fowlr?
3) Where can I get ~3 feet of this clear tube.
4) Does it attach to pvc?
5) Can I use the purple glue used for pvc/abs pipe?
6) Which maxi jet did you use?
7) The cone piece from the venturi was part of a silicone bottle?

Thanx

Couple more questions---honest

I have made a similiar skimmer which is also fed off the drain--- How do you decide how much water flow for optimum performance? Also, how do you determine the optimum water level?

Thanks

Rich

Hey CHeapreef- Have you ever thought of combining your spray nozzle design and this one for a larger tank? I was readind this thread after getting all the parts to make a dual injector, dual feed version of your spray nozzle skimmer and I thought about the idea of adding a pair of Mag drive pumps with the bioball mod and venturis as recirculation pumps to the main chambers....whatcha think?

wharfrat48 said:
Couple more questions---honest

I have made a similiar skimmer which is also fed off the drain--- How do you decide how much water flow for optimum performance? Also, how do you determine the optimum water level?

Thanks

Rich

You have to remember i'm running it on a 15gal setup, i put all the overflow output though. Works out to about 450-500gph, and i've found the water level should be just at the base of the riser tube.

Clinton

kentrob11 said:
Hey CHeapreef- Have you ever thought of combining your spray nozzle design and this one for a larger tank? I was readind this thread after getting all the parts to make a dual injector, dual feed version of your spray nozzle skimmer and I thought about the idea of adding a pair of Mag drive pumps with the bioball mod and venturis as recirculation pumps to the main chambers....whatcha think?

Never, i only have a 15gal. This skimmer the way it sits should be good for a 150gal. It might work but you have to have pressure for the spray injection to work. If you run a neddle wheel and a venturi before the injector it's not going to work near as efficent. But if you run the injectors of one pump and then recirculate off another pump with a venturi that would work. Not sure if you'd gain a bunch but that would be the way i would set it up. Remember that's a lot of heat to put in the water.(multiple pumps)

Clinton

So do you think this design is more efficient for a 240gallon tank or would the other spray nozzle design be better?

Here's a quick drawing of what I meant. The Mag would run externally, so no heat. This way you would get the benefit if high waterflow through the reaction chamber as well as the fine buble production of the needlewheel....

oops....forgot the pic...

Attachments

• demo.jpg
    demo.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 0
kentrob11 said:
So do you think this design is more efficient for a 240gallon tank or would the other spray nozzle design be better?

IMO this design kick the spray injections butt. I would use this skimmer design on any size tank, just more or less pumps. (biiger or smaller)

Clinton

oK...I like where this is going. Here's what I've got to work with:

2 15" 6"OD acrylic tubes
2 1" gate valves
1 2x4 sheet pf 1/4" acrylic

Some 1/2" pvc.....

I'd like to design a dual mixing chamber tower version of this that could be run externally and skim the crap out of a 240....ideas?

wharfrat48 said:
How do you decide how much water flow for optimum performance?
Thanks

Rich

Here's a link to that question.

Skimmer Design 101 - Shane Graber

Towards the bottom of the article you'll see a graph that tells you the recommended flow according to research done by Escobal. Further down you'll also find info on ideal skimmer diameters.
Overall an excellent article to read and understand if you're in the process of building a DIY skimmer like I am.

I have decided for my skimmer to use Eheim pumps instead of the maxijets that are not designed for external use. The Eheims cost more but are very reliable and don't leak when used externally.

I'm going to build one similar to the Deltec model. If I could just find those real nice bulkheads they're using :rollface:

Attachments

• bulkhead.jpg
    bulkhead.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 0
Back