Dialup beware #2 tank pictures

Ah, I have not checked I will do so and give you a buzz tomorrow. FYI, I also started with Echinacea on Christmas Eve, we will chat tomorrow
PL

Maximum once a month a stumble across a thread as nice as this, thanks for sharing your fine tank :)

I'll now be searching for build threads of similar tanks.

Two 250 watt DE bulbs seems alot for a tank that short, I never realized that zoo's needed so much light. I guess 10 years ago people simply knew they could survive under much lower lighting, but never got the coloration out of the polyps people like you get Geo because they never blasted them like you do! Thanks for showing off our tank and system! Any way we could get some shots of the under area, sump, skimmer, fuge, etc?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11499996#post11499996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by german
Ah, I have not checked I will do so and give you a buzz tomorrow. FYI, I also started with Echinacea on Christmas Eve, we will chat tomorrow
PL

Cant wait to hear your results.

I also opened an echinacea cap into my last feeding. I've only done this once because I don't want it to interfere with the results of the Vit C treatment. Folks will wonder which is it that is helping out my tank & I want to concentrate on the findings of treating with the C for now.

H.a.z and chris0942- Thanks much!
skeeter I can take some pictures this weekend of underneath. It is just a large fuge/sump that has a ton of marco, but I can get some
jjmcat- I just started and who knows if it helps. It will saturate in the water much like freeze dried phyto, when soaked. The powder that I have is so fine of a particle it must be consumed by some polyps. Will it do them any good? I do not know. Will it dirty up my tank? doubtfull.

puff-I would keep doing what you are doing. IMHO

I'm so glad you posted this -- I remember your 'old' tank and couldn't find the thread. Great job. I love it!

mskurdah-thanks much!

the really big zoo's. what kind are they?

Those are my favorite of all of my polyps and they have been with me the longest. They are VERY slow growing polyp, maybe 1-2 polyps per year, even when fed. They are a vivid green like no other polyp I have seen and when fully mature the polyp are silver dollar size, if not larger.

In all of my years of collecting I have not come across any the size or color of these. I have seen many of palythoa psammophila, which are similar, but not quite the right genus. It is also not the vestitus or grandis.

I have searched the web for quite some time trying to identify them to no avail.

They were a gift from a friend many years back before he quit the hobby. He was an avid collector before the craze hit and had some crazy stuff! I have no way to get in touch with him since he moved for some help in a genus ID, or how he acquired them .

Thanks for noticing them and when someone sees the tank that is the first thing they want to discuss.

Are these the same ones? Everyone comments on them, because they are sooooo bright green & HUGE! At least 2" across, not including their skirt.
GiantPolyps.jpg

You can see their size next to a regular-sized zoanthid to the left of them.

that looks like them. You can see mine in the 10th picture. Where did you get yours? Do you have an idea on their region? i have never fragged mine because they grow so slow-Do yours also grow very slow?

That is usually the first thing that people will comment on when they see the tank.

I have no memory of where I got them--maybe a frag swap? I go just about anywhere to buy corals from the locals... I have not actually sat & counted the polyps to see how many new ones have popped up during any period of time. I do know I had to move them out of my main tank into my "overflow" tank, where I put corals that are getting too large, where I don't want them stinging other corals. They were taking up too much real estate in my main show tank. I had fragged of about 4 polyps last year (I gave them away...) but I will keep an eye on their growth now. It eats a ton! As I'm looking at it now, almost every large polyp has a baby growing on wither side of them.

i was at this hole in the wall lfs the other day and they had those in. about 20 polyps for $30. i was about to get it but ended up getting another one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11413896#post11413896
Growing in this environment explains how hardy these corals can be, but also may explain why some don't do well in certain captive conditions. In my facility I have one SPS system and one soft coral system, the water in the SPS system is more pristine and the zoos definitely do not do as well in that system. This is an observation based upon several years and many hundreds of colonies, not specific individual pieces, ie. these corals are quite adaptable and individual colonies can do exceptionally well under a wide variety of conditions. Someone here will likely say they have some thriving zoos in their SPS dominated tank, but this may not be the general rule for these corals. Colors will fade without intense lighting IME. IMO the most ideal captive environment for these corals is a less heavily skimmed tank that is fed well regularly with very intense lighting and water flow. Definitely most of these corals are sold under the idea that they do well under less lighting and water flow, some colonies can adapt, buy IME to thrive in terms of maximum genetic potential growth and color they will not do their best under low flow and light and too pristine water quality."

Good luck and thanks
PL [/B]
In my facility I have one SPS system and one soft coral system, the water in the SPS system is more pristine and the zoos definitely do not do as well in that system.

sorry if I missed out reading your thread, but do you also run skimmerless on your SPS tank ?

:rollface:

so geo, you have high flow and moderate/high(for reef purposes) nutrient levels?

the tank looks beautiful great job.

what kinda flow you using

also can you take a pic of what the tank looks like w/ your CL on, or is it on in the pics?

Back