Diamond Gobi

bangbangkhan

I got a gobi on Friday but she has been missing since. Friday night she was sifting sand like no tomorrow but no sign of her.

I have a flame cardinal which ate two shrimps twice her size. Could it have eaten the gobi too?

Thanks

I got a gobi on Friday but she has been missing since. Friday night she was sifting sand like no tomorrow but no sign of her.

I have a flame cardinal which ate two shrimps twice her size. Could it have eaten the gobi too?

Thanks

Do you have a tight fitting top on the tank? If not, it's most likely that he jumped out :/

no my tank has an open top....i did try searching on the ground near the tank but couldn't locate him . either my crabs got to him or he jumped out and landed in some weird place.

no my tank has an open top...

This is not an option for jumpers, including Gobies, Wrasses, Firefish, Tilefish, Jawfish, and even Clowns, Dwarf Angels & Lionfish, just to name a few :(

I would suggest either getting the tank covered, or re-home any potential jumpers. It's just not fair to them IMO.

..... as a rule of thumb assume that if one fish can fit another in its mouth .... it will! Entirely plausible your Goby got eaten, or jumped out, or just died behind a rock.

diamond gobys are jumpers? never seen mine higher than lower third of tank.

did it make a burrow somewhere in the back?

Yeah its no where to be found...its been five days since last sighting and neither is the sand bed disturbed if it was out and about sifting....so i would assume the worst....didn't find it outside the tanks so i don't think it ever jumped...i had another for two years and like you said it only remained in the bottom third of the tank....

I lost two, maybe three, diamond gobies due to jumping. First one i was dumb. Then i used 1/2" egg crate. Second one disappeared... So may not have jumped. Third one jumped through the egg crate.

I finally got 1/4" mesh screening from BRS and have kept the 4th goby for near 4 months now.

They JUMP!

If you cant find it, its possible a pet (cat, dog, mouse) or something took the carcass.

the only time i see my diamond even leave the sand bed is at feeding time.
he must be flying around when im not looking.

For what it's worth he may be still in there. I added a diamond and he promptly vanished into the rockwork, after a week I gave up on ever seeing him again. I was forced to move a few rocks around 1 month later, lo and behold out popped the goby, 5 weeks after I had last seen him lol.

That's really comforting to hear!

The flatheads are hiding in spots where the aquarium light don't go. I will post pictures when the are out and about only been 18 hrs :)

Back