Dinoflagellates.

Most people seem to go with the Spectracide stump remover. I grabbed mine from Lowes. You will have to mix it with RO/DI as it is granules not liquid.

Most people seem to go with the Spectracide stump remover. I grabbed mine from Lowes. You will have to mix it with RO/DI as it is granules not liquid.

Thank you! What would you advise the stump remover to water ratio be to start with?

will be dosing a 30G tank.

I have not ran it that slow. According to AquaUV it's supposed to be ran well over 1000gph so I figured 400-500gph should be very slow for it. But I can come back to it and see.

I would imagine the way yours is setup is much better with it pulling directly from the display. Mine is in my basement sump.

Yea I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to be honest. I mean, my sump turnover is more like 600-700gph and this UV is drawing water pretty darn near the overflow. If it's a dino that goes into the water column at night then I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.

I did 2 tablesppons in 2 cups of RO/DI, based on a post on another forum.

So far dosing hasnt impacted my dino problem, going to do 3 days lights out and start up peroxide dosing again and see if that combo helps. Already have a UV running at this point.

So far dosing hasnt impacted my dino problem, going to do 3 days lights out and start up peroxide dosing again and see if that combo helps. Already have a UV running at this point.

Almost a week since the dinos started to die off in my tank. Still havent done any water changes. Once I noticed the die off in the tank I did another period of lights off to hit it while it seemed to be down. But so far so good. :fun4:

Is this Dino Flagellates??????

Is this Dino Flagellates??????

Hi guys,

Im brand new to this forum and just wanted to know if any of you could possibly identify the long hair algae strain that is in my tank.

I have been fighting this for about 10 months now. My Phosphates and Nitrates are zero and my lighting is on 7 hours a day.

My local aquarium store said it may be Dino Flagellates and to do a full 48 hour black out and treat with Peroxide.

Can anyone shed some light on this algae? I also have micro bubbles forming at the very top of the tank substrate.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_6971 (1).jpg
    IMG_6971 (1).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6973 (1).jpg
    IMG_6973 (1).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6974 (1).jpg
    IMG_6974 (1).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6975 (1).jpg
    IMG_6975 (1).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6976 (1).jpg
    IMG_6976 (1).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1
I agree... thats what I always thought however it keeps growing back despite I have Zero Phosph and Zero Nitrate.. Im also treating with NO PO to keeping Nitrate at bay. The hair has always been there even after pulling it out. Keeps coming back!

I agree... thats what I always thought however it keeps growing back despite I have Zero Phosph and Zero Nitrate.. Im also treating with NO PO to keeping Nitrate at bay. The hair has always been there even after pulling it out. Keeps coming back!
If algae is using the phosphates at a high rate u could still show 0 po4.

I would try vibrant on that green algae. Really good on that kind of stuff.

As others have said, definitely doesn't look like dinos.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

black out is temporary. the inorganics have to go somewhere. There's whole threads on RC on DIY and purchased algae scrubbers...

Any recommendations of where to get a good one? So your saying the black out technique is a no no?

If your goal is to knock back some photosynthetic pest a bit temporarily with a black out then a black out may help do that. However, most photosynthetic pests will bounce right back.

In the case of dinos most that would not like the blackout would just form a cyst and come right back when they feel like it. In fact this one type that I captured last night seemed perfectly fine with out light. And in fact was much more active then when I've seen them in my display tank under the microscope.

post #440
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25175350#post25175350

For an ATS you can cheaply make your own.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977420&page=382

I personally don't put as much weight into them in defeating dinos but I do believe in harvesting algae of some type in some way as a very good way to help control nutrients and unwanted elements like heavy metals that they uptake.

I currently run an ATS built by Turbo's aquatics and if you want to buy one I highly recommend his.
Mine setup over my sump.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1673282&page=79

Hey everyone, I'm new, my tank is just getting passed it's cycle and I'm getting this weird snot looking stuff on my rocks and this weird looking stuff on the surface of my sump
16cfdfb6dde1ff11c500decd58bf034e.jpg

Here is the pictures of my tank rocks
f83b16275402e1c5a7a33ed88353e946.jpg
62ddb9bb94094687767b8da98f85969d.jpg
ab2862b6bd8d58d5ad0272e3c68de828.jpg

I'm sorry I don't know more this is an extremely long thread with a lot of information so could someone help me out ? Am I doomed or is it not Dino's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back