Direct or Intermittent Flow?

JCnflies

I have a 75 gal tank with two primary flows. THe return (from an Iwaki 820?) goes left to right and a vortec pushes water right to left. They create a lot of flow, but leave a void from the back to the front of the tank. To correct this, I just oredered two Hydro Koralia 3s that I will install so they point from the rear of the tank through SPS corals (acros, stylos, pocillopora) to the front. I can run them on diagonals so they are both counter to the main current and still manage to intercept a couple of different corals.

My question is this:

Am I better off putting them on wavemakers or am I better off keeping them going full time? Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=#post target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Full time.

All this controller/wavemaker stuff is overrated, and just leaves you with less flow.
not really.
I've had both scenarios over the years.
I used to run 4 mjmods 1200-and great flow but limited usefulness for the amount of flow.
Now I run 4 tunzes on a controller and the difference is remarkable in terms of corals health polyp extension etc. BTW same husbandry and parameters. The flow of the ph's(tunzes) is softer and wider plus gentler on the acros thus IMHO creating a more suitable environment for growth and health.
And finally yes yes and yes I know all the subsequent posts regarding proof and theory blablabla.

The bottom line is they are better technology period.

While i like my wave maker i agree it leaves me with less flow....
Would i run without the wavemaker? Not if i did not absolutly have to.
I combatted the less flow feeling by adding more powerheads, i leave 2 of them on full time.

2x Tunze streams are too big for 75g.
Not too much flow, but the pumps are big and distracting in a small tank. If you want tunze in a 75 get 2-3 big nano streams on full time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10447005#post10447005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chromafi
2x Tunze streams are too big for 75g.
Not too much flow, but the pumps are big and distracting in a small tank. If you want tunze in a 75 get 2-3 big nano streams on full time.

I have 2 6000's on a 55g. Yes I plan on an upgrade to a much larger tank in the near future, however, after a while you dont even notice anymore. Not saying you are wrong just letting people know that its all relative and preference based.

Cheers

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10445850#post10445850 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gasman059
not really.
I've had both scenarios over the years.
I used to run 4 mjmods 1200-and great flow but limited usefulness for the amount of flow.

The bottom line is they are better technology period.

All research points otherwise. Only your oppinion suggests that. I'd trust the research first.

FWIW, I SOLD all my tunzes. Theyre a waste of money. The corals dont grow any better.

Gasman, if wavemakers are so nice, why dont commercial growers run them, and instead run Gyre style tanks?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10451567#post10451567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
All research points otherwise. Only your oppinion suggests that. I'd trust the research first.

FWIW, I SOLD all my tunzes. Theyre a waste of money. The corals dont grow any better.

Gasman, if wavemakers are so nice, why dont commercial growers run them, and instead run Gyre style tanks?

Rich,

You have to say your ONLY knock on Tunzes is the amount of money. If they were 25 bucks you would be ravin about em.:D

I thought the research said NOT to leave them on full time but to create unidirectional flow. A tunze on a 7095 will let you switch 'directions' every six hours by changing which pumps are on at 100% and which are at 30%.

In my frag tank, which has no rock, I run one 6045 at the back/bottom and one at the front/top pointing at the opposite wall. Every week I move the units and reverse the flow. Those stay on 24/7

Yes but most people who run controllers and wavemakers don't run them at 6 hour intervals. Instead they aim to run them switching at 1 minute or 5 minute intervals which is ridiculous.

Interesting point you made there.... why is that ridiculous dhnguyen?

I just got ordered a tunze 6055 with a single controller, does anyone know if I can set the single controller on alternate flow. I'm thinking of getting one more 6055 as well.

Because switching the pumps every 1-5 minutes will take away a lot from the flow. Any flow inertia built is lost in such short bursts. Other than possible aesthetics (of seeing coral polyps swaying back and forth) I don't see any benefit of doing this.

I see. What's a good time frame for switching the pumps then?

Damn, they just told me they ran out of 6055s. Won't be in for a few months, so I purchased a 6000 with a single controller instead.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10458425#post10458425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Leopard Man
I see. What's a good time frame for switching the pumps then?

Damn, they just told me they ran out of 6055s. Won't be in for a few months, so I purchased a 6000 with a single controller instead.

too bad i had two set aside for me yesterday but i turned one down...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10458437#post10458437 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
too bad i had two set aside for me yesterday but i turned one down...

:mad2: :mad2: :D

I didn't want to go with a 6000 coz they don't look cool, but this will do for now.

Back