Diving with ricordea and zooanthids in Florida

Mantis

We normally head to the Keys once a year to dive and have fun.
Most of my dives have been around the Largo/Pennacamp area.(Ocean Divers) Just wondering where are the ricordea and zooanthids? I've never seen any. I know I'm diving in the wrong areas. Where are the right areas for these corals?

Thanks

I have heard of people collecting zoos in the Jupiter/Palm Beach area. I have heard of others collecting Ricorida in the Tampa area.

I would like to know because Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m going to be in Jupiter this summer for a week and I plan on collecting some softies etc (Leagaly, Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m going to buy a permit) and I want to know the best place to go with good amounts and variety. I need to find the best place I can since Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m going to have on or 2 dives to do it. The rest of the trip will dedicated to the Lemon sharks in the area.:D

AzSnake said:
I have heard of people collecting zoos in the Jupiter/Palm Beach area. I have heard of others collecting Ricorida in the Tampa area.

I would like to know because Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m going to be in Jupiter this summer for a week and I plan on collecting some softies etc (Leagaly, Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m going to buy a permit) and I want to know the best place to go with good amounts and variety. I need to find the best place I can since Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m going to have on or 2 dives to do it. The rest of the trip will dedicated to the Lemon sharks in the area.:D

I see the lemons more on the winter than the summer. In the summer I see bulls:worried:

Yea bulls aren't something I really want to get fresh with.
The guy im going with will be free diving (SCUBA but with no shark cage and out in the blue in a few thousand feet water) with WHITES off of South Africa in Sept. I think he's insane personally.
He claims that because they don't chum for Whites in that area of the world, they don't associate Humans with food. For me... No thanks. Not my idea of excitment. I would rather spend my money going on a legal collecting trip to someplace in the South Pacific.

That way I can hook up my tank AND go diving.;)

Whites, S. Africa, no cage, no thank you

Thanks for the tip. Any idea how far off shore would be best?

Im thinking 30' and to right under the surface of a low tide would be good for zoos.
Ricordias I know can be found deeper.
Especially the yumas in the Pacific, the Florida type I have heard are shallower but I don't have specifics.

I usually lobster in the Largo/Pennekamp area. Does anyone knew of some good spots around there with zoanthids/ricordea. I have found some zoos around Dynamite Dock. Thanks in advance

Here you go
IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5518.jpg

2 weeks ago off Big Pine Key, MM 30

Ricorida in the Tampa area.

I live in tampa, and although i have not really dived at all, i ca sure tell you there are no coral in Tampa Bay. It may be recovering greatly since it was at its worst during the middle of last century, but it is still nowhere near healthy enough imo to support any coral life. the channel leading out to the gulf was horribly polluted in the months of June-July and alot of stuff died horribly. Just walking along the surf behind the mangrove marshes ANYWHERE along Tampa Bay will yield a surprising volume of solid waste.

HOWEVER!!!!!! 5 miles off the coast of Tarpon Springs in the Gulf of Mexico is in fact the site of Tampa Bay Saltwaters aquaculture area. Plenty of coral, live rock and other great stuff, but it is a privately leased property with authorized access only.

That does not mean that the life has not been spreading beyond into the surrounding waters. Tarpon springs is in fact the site of some of the greatest natural sponge colonies in the world, and has beautiful seagrass beds.

I do beleive the lodging in the area is a bit more affordable than anywhere in the Keys, so if you are interested, check it out.

Speckled Grouper, do you ever collect the zoos or rics, I know hard corals are a no no but i thought softies and inverts were ok with a permit.

Ricordea are ok to collect. With a Saltwater Fishing license you can collect up 20 specimen per day. So that means 20 snails, or 20 crabs, or 20 zoa colonies (now if they where to break up, you could only have 20 polyps), 20 rics or a combination of all allowed critters. You can collect most gorgonians, mushrooms, lettuce nudis, shrimp, fish, etc. Off limits are rock, hard corals, Venus Sea Fans, Bahama Starfish and long spine Urchins. The fish have to be within a certain size limit. The FWC website has more details.

I think, they where on the decline a few years back and where put on the endangered list. I see quite a few myself, I guess they are on the rebound.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10630248#post10630248 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Speckled Grouper
Ricordea are ok to collect. With a Saltwater Fishing license you can collect up 20 specimen per day. So that means 20 snails, or 20 crabs, or 20 zoa colonies (now if they where to break up, you could only have 20 polyps), 20 rics or a combination of all allowed critters. You can collect most gorgonians, mushrooms, lettuce nudis, shrimp, fish, etc. Off limits are rock, hard corals, Venus Sea Fans, Bahama Starfish and long spine Urchins. The fish have to be within a certain size limit. The FWC website has more details.

Wow I did not know that, my parents live up in the sea pines/hudson area and they go snorkeling out there all the time. Are there any rics/zoas around there, I know they see tons of sponges and coral sometimes, I should go out there with them and see!

Last edited:
Back