DIY Live Rock Meet

Yes, the location is at Coastal Aquatics in freeport, on April 2nd, we'll start around noon. All you need is a styrofoam container to make your rock in and then you can take that container home with you and let it harden.

Ok. sounds great. of course some of will need directions cause I don' t know the tFreeport area at all. Pretty sure im going to be able to make it!

megan

I just realized my travel plans conflict with the DIY meet! I'm flying out to Florida on April 1st!! Denise, Jason, et al; would any of you be willing to make a little extra for me? Anyone know of any REALLY amazing LFS or aquariums in the Naples, Ft Myers, St Pete area? Any one want me to bring anything back from Florida, except warmth and sunshine which is a given? Will be returning on Monday the 10th. Sue

Jason, Have been to the Tampa Bay Aquarium. It IS really nice. Had the nicest SH exibit, I brought back a really nice pic of a Sea Dragon from there, another of my 'dream fishes'. Sue

I'm thinking I want to try to construct a cave for my next tank. I'd take a piece of 4" PVC pipe, cut it lengthwise about 2/3 of the way down, and form the live rock around it to camouflage it? Can any of you who have worked with this tell me if my plan is valid? Any additional things I'd need besides the pipe and styrofoam box?
Wynne

Sonya of course you are welcome... you donot even need to bring the cooler, Anna has plenty to get rid of, so just bring yourself!

Wynne, I was going to do something simiilar, I have a few extra small pcs of PCV and an elbow or two that might make an interesting escape hole for a fish or two , a T might work well too....read on a thread somewhere how someone did this

Will try to remember your crab!

Denise

Sounds like fun! Is this the stuff that has to sit in a bucket of water for a couple of months until the pH comes down?

I had done a little bit of reading about DIY live rock and I guess you do have to let it cure for several months. but it would be nice if it was a shorter process :)
someone correct me if Im wrong.

I was pretty sure that the concrete leached stuff into the water for awhile. I read that you had to keep changing the water out and testing the pH. Doesn't seem like it would be that bad considering the cost of even dead rock these days.

Yes, curing is the worst part about this. Curing takes up to 6 weeks in fresh water and the 2 or 3 more weeks in saltwater. After you make your rock, you let it harden for 3 days or so, and then soak in water. I'll be bringing a print out with me to the meeting giving you step-by-step instructions, from the mixing to the curing.

Most excellent. Long wait, but I think it will be fun and worth it, you basically get to make it look like you want it to...in shape and whatnot. I can't wait, the more we talk about it...the more excited I get..

So noon tomorrow?

Is Coastal Aquatics on Route 1 just south of Freeport village in tall Indian country? Is that right?

Hoping the grandma can take my boys. ;)

YES, 2 miles south of ll bean, 2 miles north of the big indian. from 295 take exit 20 (freeport, desert rd). Follow signs to route one, turn right onto route one south. Coastal Aquatics is 1/4 of a mile on the left hand side. Loacted across from Comfort Suites, and in between Dominos and Thai Garden. 869.9005

This was a fantastic meet, I had a great time and learned a lot. Thanks to John and Matt and Denise and whoever else worked to pull this together, and to Anna for hosting.

Back