DIY Rocks for new aquascape

If you decide to use spray foam for any portion (I do like it very much), don’t worry about trying to cover/coat it with anything. In my first foam build, I covered it with epoxy and sand,crushed coral rubble mixture. It looked amazing for a while. Over time though, the foam will absorb a little water and expand slightly, but the epoxy won’t. Ultimately, I had matured looking rock work with the occasional random bright clean splotches where the epoxy would separate from the swollen foam surface.

Besides, naked foam makes an amazing and simple frag mount…punch a hole in the foam with an adequately sized drill bit or rod, and insert the frag plug directly into the foam with a little super glue gel.

If you decide to use spray foam for any portion (I do like it very much), don’t worry about trying to cover/coat it with anything. In my first foam build, I covered it with epoxy and sand,crushed coral rubble mixture. It looked amazing for a while. Over time though, the foam will absorb a little water and expand slightly, but the epoxy won’t. Ultimately, I had matured looking rock work with the occasional random bright clean splotches where the epoxy would separate from the swollen foam surface.

Besides, naked foam makes an amazing and simple frag mount…punch a hole in the foam with an adequately sized drill bit or rod, and insert the frag plug directly into the foam with a little super glue gel.

I thought about the foam but ended up going a different route. I read some issues with it breaking apart down the road and things like crabs, etc picking at the foam. Ended up just scrapping it. Still might be a use down the road though.

Made the skeleton yesterday. I am thinking all I'll need is duct tape and plastic wrap at this point. The structure is very sturdy and don't know if I need to reinforce with joint compound. @kharmaguru do you think cement would stick to the joint compund? If not, maybe just tape and then compound without the cling wrap?

20240428_094248.jpg

do you think cement would stick to the joint compund?
I do, but they have really different moisture retention and I'm thinking the compound will get destroyed fairly quickly. Do you want them to bond or not?

I do, but they have really different moisture retention and I'm thinking the compound will get destroyed fairly quickly. Do you want them to bond or not?

No, I don't want the cement bonding to the compound. Just looking to skip some steps if I can. Looks like I'll still plastic wrap the compund.

Drywall compound is almost finished. I plan on laying plastic over the compound before laying the cement down. I have been thinking of a good way to attach the plastic to the compound. I was thinking of hot gluing the plastic to the drywall compound.

Anyone have any ideas on that?

20240428_165340.jpg
20240428_165354.jpg
20240428_192851.jpg
20240429_201219.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to double the amount of rock I have, but I'm starting to get paranoid about how heavy it's all getting. I am loving your setup so far. very inspirational for a future build..... 🤔

I'd love to double the amount of rock I have, but I'm starting to get paranoid about how heavy it's all getting. I am loving your setup so far. very inspirational for a future build..... 🤔

Thank you! Hopefully it turns out the way I am hoping. It should be much lighter with the rock being hollow.

Spray adhesive?

I'm getting some Close Encounters of the Third Kind vibes from all this.:LOL:

That's a good idea! I was thinking that but I wouldn't want a strong adhesive incase the plastic gets stuck in the cement. I will check around tomorrow. Maybe the 3M stuff.

LOL. Yep, that's what it looks like. :ROFLMAO:

. It should be much lighter with the rock being hollow.

I would think so!
When we first came back into the hobby after a long hiatus we just set up a 10g tall nano. That was very easy to scape. a couple rocks and just jam it full of corals lol. Our 40g is much harder for me to visualize. I couldn't even imagine a project as big as yours!

I would think so!
When we first came back into the hobby after a long hiatus we just set up a 10g tall nano. That was very easy to scape. a couple rocks and just jam it full of corals lol. Our 40g is much harder for me to visualize. I couldn't even imagine a project as big as yours!

That is what I did when I first set up this tank. I had all of my rocks and corals in a holding tank in the garage. I was in such a hurry to get this tank up and running that I just placed the rock and coral on a long wall and called it good. It looked okay, but I was never happy with it. This time around, I am taking my time and making sure it's something that I am going to enjoy, which is also efficient for the system. A system this size isn't bad if you take your time and don't rush things. I rushed every day for a solid year, and it was not the best for me or the system.

Last edited:
Back