Do haddoni tentacles vibrate similar to gigantea?

Winwood

The local Petco has two green carpets. One is an obvious haddoni. The other was hard to tell. It's tentacles were vibrating similar to a lot of gigs do in low flow situations. Any input would be appreciated.

Yes, they do. I've seen it before as well. Funny since it was at a Petco too. The anemone I saw was definitely a haddoni (it had no visible verrucae, was in the sand, and -- this is hard to describe -- "looked" like a haddoni).

They also tend to move a lot quicker than gigs, in terms of rapid (for an anemone) contraction of the disk.

In low flow, Haddoni also mover their tentacles but not as much as Gigantea. New carpet anemones in new tank, you just got to look at the column to differentiate the two in hard to tell case. If it's foot is in the sand, it certainly Haddoni. If you see verrucae, with light color column, it is most likely Gigantea.

Yes, they do. I've seen it before as well. Funny since it was at a Petco too. The anemone I saw was definitely a haddoni (it had no visible verrucae, was in the sand, and -- this is hard to describe -- "looked" like a haddoni).

They also tend to move a lot quicker than gigs, in terms of rapid (for an anemone) contraction of the disk.

I have also seen this at LFS too. I've never bought one like this, but at the LFS I've seen them doing this, low light conditions. May not be the reason, just a quick thought.

In low oxygen water, or water with low flow, haddonis will elongate and vibrate their tentacles. Tentacle appearance by itself is not always a foolproof way to tell the species apart. Look for the colored verrucae - they are unmistakeable.

Back