Do you find yourself..

FraggledRock

Looking for a reason to buy something new?

I am running through everything in my head and it appears that I have done all I can so far for the tank this week and I still feel like I am missing something...

Is this what addiction feels like?

LOL

Be careful with your tax return, if you get one...I'm looking at a new skimmer, but might need a new sump to hold it. LOL.

Be careful with your tax return, if you get one...I'm looking at a new skimmer, but might need a new sump to hold it. LOL.

LOLOLOL

I KNOW! Yea I got one coming, but I think I have to use that for business this year.

I was thinking of a new sump, dont let me make the decision concrete HAHA

Just buy another tank ;then you'll have plenty of justification to buy more new things.

Lucky? for me, I have other plans for my tax return and bonus. I've been trying to cut down my reef costs, but it's so hard not wanting toget ne things for the tank. I just tell myself to wait and save for that 210 I've been eying up, but gonna be over a year before I can swing that. Every frag I buy pushes that 210 purchase back a few days/weeks though. That's how I try to justify NOT buying anything. Otherwise my thoughts of "$10 frag?! I'd get $50 worht of enjoyment out of that" kicks in and I find my back account emptying gradualy but steadaly. Dang student loans. My reef busget will go way up once I get rid of them.

I got a bigger bonus then I thought this year and the next day I had an apex, led retrofit, aquamaxx skimmer, and more show up at my door. I barely got the word of my bonus before 1400 of it was gone on fish stuff.

I am always looking to tinker with my tanks. I have had my large FW planted tank for years and still find things to try or buy with that. I just got it a new CO2 system and upgraded the LEDs on there as well.

I can justify the expense since my toddler loves the tanks and we have a ton of quality daddy/daughter time with them. So the 1k I spend on gear for a few more hugs and excitement are worth it. And hopefullY i caught her young enough that she will rather work on the tanks with me on the weekends with me then going out with boys when she is a teen. If not my ever growing gun collection can solve that problem.....lol

I got a bigger bonus then I thought this year and the next day I had an apex, led retrofit, aquamaxx skimmer, and more show up at my door. I barely got the word of my bonus before 1400 of it was gone on fish stuff.

I am always looking to tinker with my tanks. I have had my large FW planted tank for years and still find things to try or buy with that. I just got it a new CO2 system and upgraded the LEDs on there as well.

I can justify the expense since my toddler loves the tanks and we have a ton of quality daddy/daughter time with them. So the 1k I spend on gear for a few more hugs and excitement are worth it. And hopefullY i caught her young enough that she will rather work on the tanks with me on the weekends with me then going out with boys when she is a teen. If not my ever growing gun collection can solve that problem.....lol
nice!

hah i use the same justification with my niece and nephew, I always tell everyone, "but they love watching nemo in the tank", which they do, but family questionsless about the stuff I buy when I say its to make the kids happy ;)

but It does make me happy sitting with them and talking about the fish with them! =) Even if they don't know what a large polyp stony is or means, they keep asking questions and you can only say so much til you need to stump them haha

*cough* *cough* No honey, we didn't get a lot on our tax return this year. Obamacare is really taking a bite out of our tax return *cough*

*cough* No honey this Super Reef Octopus skimmer wasn't much, there was a HUGE sale, I got it half price online, it was a floor model. *cough*

a controller will easily sap 1000 out of you.

Sure the controller is only like 500 but then you need the afs, extra power bar, wiring for lights, network adapter.

For me it sapped closer to 2K as it also meant a new computer for that room so I could program things. Sure I could take my laptop downstairs but that would require the strain of carrying it back up.

a controller will easily sap 1000 out of you.

Sure the controller is only like 500 but then you need the afs, extra power bar, wiring for lights, network adapter.

For me it sapped closer to 2K as it also meant a new computer for that room so I could program things. Sure I could take my laptop downstairs but that would require the strain of carrying it back up.

Man.... That's quite a commitment!

Would the Apex JR suffice?

When I say NEED I think we can agree that you WANT but justify as a NEED...

Apex JR has limitations on the number of modules you can run through it from what I remember. That is why I went with regular apex.

Reefkeeper is a bit cheaper but I liked the Fusion site for coding so went that direction.

I'd love to get a controller set up, but can't justify it for my 40 gallon. It would be nice to program everything and be able to automate a few of the more tedious things. And to think the guy at my LFS said I could set up a 40 gallon saltwater tank for about $600. Maybe if it were barren with a pair of clowns or something. That's not much fun though. And "it's realy no more maintainance other than mixing the salt into your water before a water change". Gotta say if I knew what I was getting into I might not have done it. I'm glad I did though. I love this hobby and can't see myself without a tank now. What would I do with myself?

I'd love to get a controller set up, but can't justify it for my 40 gallon. It would be nice to program everything and be able to automate a few of the more tedious things. And to think the guy at my LFS said I could set up a 40 gallon saltwater tank for about $600. Maybe if it were barren with a pair of clowns or something. That's not much fun though. And "it's realy no more maintainance other than mixing the salt into your water before a water change". Gotta say if I knew what I was getting into I might not have done it. I'm glad I did though. I love this hobby and can't see myself without a tank now. What would I do with myself?

There is nothing else to do! =P muahahaha

I have to do more maintenance with my planted tank then I do with my salt. Sure I don't have to mix the water but I have to prune and clean filters much more often.

Back