do you name your fish?

No way.

My smaller kids feel the need to name some of them. My fiance talks to the fish, but for some reason does not want to give them a name.

I can understand naming a large puffer fish, or some other larger fish that sports a personality...

:) I don't either. Somehow that flies in the face of the way I perceive my relationship with my fish which is one of mutual respect as fellow creatures of nature. To me, their "names" are their genus and specific epithet. I do, however, try to control them with mind control. I use it with new fish who are reluctant about eating. I put some food in, stare intently at it and think "Mmmmmm".

My wife has names for ours. She says it makes it easier for the grandkids to relate and identify them. Hopefully as they get older I can ween them off of that and get the kids to recognize the species.

well, thats not entirely true....

I did name my porky puffer "Puff Daddy" but then I changed it to "Puffy" and then "P-Diddy" and then "Diddy" and now its "P Poppa Diddy Pop"

haha.
all mine have names, but now that I think about it, other girls have named my fish...

except the chromis, they are just "the chromis"

yeah i usually name all mine once they pass the 2 month mark so that i can talk to my wife about them haha.

I'm going to make a prediction fueled by sheer, magnificent, mind-boggeling psychic power...

My girlfriend will be on this thread in the next 48 hours telling you all the names of every single thing in my tank that moves.

Prepare to be amazed.

Sometimes...if there's something that fits.

Otherwise they're usually something like...Sailfin (sailfin tang...obviously), or Blue (Pacific Blue Tang).

when we realized that our "nemo" was a girl and didn't have a gimpy fin... we named her Coral after nemo's mom.

Then we got a lawnmower blenny that my son said looked like a walrus... so we call him Wally and he named the other blenny Big_E... cuz he eats a LOT.

He calls my six-line... Stripes. And we call the orchid dottyback Violet.

Other than that, everybody is refered to by the type of fish they are... Marroon, Coral Beauty, Scopas, Starfish, Brittlestar, the damsels are the "twins"...

I dont name mine unless they are idiots...

If I have a fish that is being dumb or seems a bit mentally challenged I will call him an appropiately fitting name....

I name the ones that I have for awhile and know will make it. My cinnamon clown is Krusty the clown. My pair of false percs are Side show Bob and Side show Mel...Then there is Mr.Foxface...I wasn't that creative with his.

My kids have named just about all of mine. They strangely have provided them all very human names. The BJ Jawfish is Jerry, the Yellow Watchman is Chuck, the Blue Flasher Wrasse is Barney, the Foxface is Eric. You'd think kids (ages 2, 3 and 5) would come up with names that are a bit more "kiddy", right?

I've named everything that moves in my tank except the hermit crabs... even the snails. (My husband teases me about that.)

My three Yellow Tailed Blue Damsels are Larry, Curly, and Moe, because they are always dicking with each other. My Royal Gramma is Vera, because I think it sounds like a grandma-ish name. My Firefish is Flicker, because, well, she does look a bit like a flame. And my snails are Whirly-Shell, Twirly-Shell, and Curly-Shell, (the Margaritas,) and Comet and Galaxy, (the Turbos.)

Yes, I'm a dork.

Back