Does your house smell like fish?

AJsTank

So one of my biggest concerns with getting this 400 gallon system up and going is the fish smell. I don't want it to smell like the ocean in my home. How do you guys deal with it? I might have to get a dehumidifier, so I'm wondering if that will help if I have an issue...

It shouldn't smell like fish but rather like seawater. If you've ever been to the coast with warm waters you will know the smell. For me it's actually a very nice smell.

With proper husbandry, your tank really shouldn't smell at all. Freshly made salt water if anything. This has sort of a distinct/pleasing aroma to it IMO.

If your tank smells like fish, there is something wrong. Between my two tanks, I have about 350 gallons saltwater in the fish room. There is no smell per se, but there is a seaside atmosphere. Get one of those sound machines to play the sound of surf, close your eyes, and you'll want to break out the sun tan lotion. LOL!!! On a hot humid day, I run 2 HD dehumidifiers.

I've got 550 gallons in my den but my tank is completely drywalled in from top to bottom. I also have a very powerful fan above the tank that is ducted outside the house through a vent in the exterior wall. As such, I have no noticeable fish or ocean smell in my house. That said, as Palting mentioned, if your tank smells like fish, something is wrong or dead!

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really sure if I was going to have issues, but it sounds like I won't. I keep my systems clean on a weekly basis.

Same here, over 300g and no fish smell. I don't even run carbon regularly just keep up with maintenance.

I could see you having that smell using halides and a wood canopy. Don't ask me how I know, lol.

My first tank had PC's with the huge ballasts that someone had put in a wooden canopy. Every time they heated up, the thing would smell bad. I think the saltwater gets in the wood and smells really bad.

I agree though, if you have that smell, something is dead.

The only time I ever get a fish smell is after over feeding a bit. It can be a night and day difference. Even at that, it clears by evening.

Back