Dogs and Storms

dcombs44

Ya know what I hate?

Having a dog that trembles and pants through an entire storm, all the while, she's sitting on your chest in your bed that she know dang well she's not aloud to be in.

Only solution I've found to this point is going into the office and turning on music. She hides under the desk and settles down as long as I stay in there with her, which of course means, I'm awake.

Anybody have any suggestions for calming the dog without teaching her that storms are in fact big scary monsters and that she needs to be scared?

I refuse to pet her and talk to her and stuff during the storms, and if it's during the day, I try to play with her and make the storms a "fun" time. Unfortunately, it storms frequently during the night here. I'm in no mood to play at 4:38 (current time) in the morning.

never had trouble with my dog she really is not interested in them. she will even go out and pee during one if you make her.

We had a St. Bernard that was terrified of them. He was scared of the lightning. We would just put him in the basement and close the currents so he couldnt see the lightning. My cats on the other hand just sit in the window and watch it .

I wish I could get her to mellow out. She just freaks out. She'll start trembling 30 minutes before the thunder starts and trembles and pants all the way through the storm.

I've tried to show her "safe" places like closets, basement, under desks, under the bed, but she wants to be right on top of us. She'll literally jump on the bed and lay across us if we'll let her, and she knows that she's not allowed on the bed.

It's pretty crazy how much it scares her.

Try rubbing her down with dryer sheets when it gets ready to storm might help some. i read dogs can feel the storm and there coat attracts static and some dog are worse about it. Plus she will smell good!

Back