dolphin slaughtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night a friend and I were watching the Olympics. I made a joke that while the japanese were skating, someone should jump out onto the ice dressed as a dolphin with spurting blood from it's neck. Would be quite the statement. Canada would be a safe place to do it, as you would probably just spend a night in jail for disturbing the peace. Just don't do it in Nagano... you would probably never be heard of again.

But really, a lot of farms in the US are just as brutal.

Is the japanese justice system corrupt? We're not talking about china here.

You do not want to get entangled with the Japanese legal system. Their attitude toward individual liberties and 'anti-social' behavior is not at all like British or Canadian perspectives. The Japanese reaction to foreign people protesting part of their traditional culture might be similar to the way some US protesters were treated when they attended partisan political rallies, pretending to be supporters of a recent White House occupant, but later attempting to display hostile signs and banners: lots of bruises and fractures while being speedily removed from the premises by local, federal, and private security forces, and tossed into a cell, at least until the rally was over. The Japanese point out that it is the nail which sticks out that gets hammered down. Many institutions within their society reflect this attitude.

Wikipedia simply describes what exists; it does not prescribe. Because usage eventually determines acceptable language, even dictionaries and grammar handbooks are subject to the tyranny of the morbidly ignorant, but they at least attempt to fight a rearguard action by resisting, as long as possible, the corruption and pollution of language.

Certainly, Ive heard the expression 'my bad' used frequently. It's especially ugly. It grates upon the sensibilities like sandpaper applied to a skin rash. The mother in the example cited should have required her daughter to eat some of that garbage to discourage the production of spoken garbage. Perhaps this is no longer legal, and some child protection agency would intervene.

Haha, well I'm not the politically correct type, but forcing children to eat garbage does seem a bit much. Anyway, we're not talking about grammar here. How about those dolphins?

I like dolphins. I think killing them for food is like eating dogs. Unfortunately, consumption of both is common in various parts of the world. The problem is that it's difficult to justify killing and eating some kinds of animals while condemning the slaughter of other kinds. Only vegetarians can take the moral high ground in this situation. The relative rarity or scarcity of some animals, especially wild creatures, can constitute a valid argument against their use as food, but not everyone is committed to the preservation of wildlife. Many people see all creation as something provided for human use, while others see the extermination of various species by humans as part of a natural process, the survival of the strongest and all that. When we've eaten the last whale, buffalo, passenger pigeon, and bluefin tuna, we just move on to whatever is left. Eventually, I suppose, we reach the point where only other people can provide the meat we crave. It has happened in various places.

I like dolphins. I think killing them for food is like eating dogs. Unfortunately, consumption of both is common in various parts of the world.
True. Cats, too.
The problem is that it's difficult to justify killing and eating some kinds of animals while condemning the slaughter of other kinds. Only vegetarians can take the moral high ground in this situation.
Also true, except for all the mice and voles ruthlessly slaughtered by mechanized harvesters in the vegetarians' precious fields. And the mosquitoes that many of them callously squash. And to quote Binkley from Berkley Breathed's Bloom County, we're "massacring millions of germs by breathing." Moral high ground? Maybe. Unassailable moral high ground? Nope.
The relative rarity or scarcity of some animals, especially wild creatures, can constitute a valid argument against their use as food, but not everyone is committed to the preservation of wildlife. Many people see all creation as something provided for human use, while others see the extermination of various species by humans as part of a natural process, the survival of the strongest and all that. When we've eaten the last whale, buffalo, passenger pigeon, and bluefin tuna, we just move on to whatever is left. Eventually, I suppose, we reach the point where only other people can provide the meat we crave. It has happened in various places.
Soylent green is people!

Last edited:
Yeah, it's pretty brutal, but it's all about cultural differences here. We slaughter cows and pigs in a similar manner. I'm sure over in India they don't appreciate us slaughtering cows very much.

Do I think dolphins should be slaughtered and eaten? No, but that's just because our culture values dolphins for their cuteness and intelligence. Most asian countries see meat as meat, at least bottlenose dolphins aren't endangered, unlike some of the whales and such they hunt.

Link removed~dchttp://moviesonlinefree.biz/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's pretty brutal, but it's all about cultural differences here. We slaughter cows and pigs in a similar manner. I'm sure over in India they don't appreciate us slaughtering cows very much.

Do I think dolphins should be slaughtered and eaten? No, but that's just because our culture values dolphins for their cuteness and intelligence. Most asian countries see meat as meat, at least bottlenose dolphins aren't endangered, unlike some of the whales and such they hunt.

*EDIT*

Cattle and Swine are neither wild (as in undomesticated) animals, nor are they laced with enough mercury to cause serious health problems (which can be generational).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people are discussing more a matter of cruelty here. I'm not sure why mercury matters in the discussion, except I wouldn't want to eat those dolphins.

True. Cats, too.Also true, except for all the mice and voles ruthlessly slaughtered by mechanized harvesters in the vegetarians' precious fields. And the mosquitoes that many of them callously squash. And to quote Binkley from Berkley Breathed's Bloom County, we're "massacring millions of germs by breathing." Moral high ground? Maybe. Unassailable moral high ground? Nope.Soylent green is people!

Cats aren't usually a staple although some cultures do eat them. Dogs are regularly eaten by a vastly large number of cultures.

Although mice and voles are killed "in the vegetarians' precious fields" these same fields also feed meat eaters and the food animals that meat eaters eat, thus killing many-fold larger numbers of mice and voles.

What I always find interesting about these sorts of discussions is that we always argue, "Well, we do it to [insert animal] so why can't they", instead of looking at ourselves and wondering, "Maybe what we are doing might not be right either".
No judgment here, just observation.

This was said more than once here so....

I do not believe cultural relativism can justify any sort of animal cruelty. That's like saying there is cultural relativism to female circumcision aka genital mutilation; I am saying cultural relativism is a fallacy here.

Humane killing for a cow pig dolphin human squirrel monkey dog cat bird deer fly is one thing, but cruelty is quite another and should be looked down upon no matter what culture you are part of. I do not mean to speak in absolutes but again, there is no cultural relativism.

I'll agree, cruelty is always bad. I also think it's funny that 'housefull' directly copied and pasted my first response.

you know i noticed that it sounded the same and i didnt bother to check if it was a different poster or the same poster with amnesia :beer:

not the same as cows etc.. as dolphins tend to be just a SMUDGE smarter.. and pigs / cows etc are breed for consumption. Those are wild dolphins, Im glad they dont have hands and can walk on land we would all be dead I assure you.

Perhaps, due to the need to capture these wild dolphins, you may perceive such actions as cruel and inhumane. If for some reason, these dolphins were kept in some magical underwater cage where everything seemed to look a bit smoother and less primitive, could it seem less inhumane in some way? Just because we have domesticated cows and pigs and the like, that doesnt make the murder of these animals any less humane.

I'm not saying I condone such actions, but I too believe that this video allows us to look at our own set of norms and culture and perhaps not to look at other cultures with such belittlement.

In the end of all this, we still have to kill what we eat. Although some people may claim eating vegetables is not killing, it still is. It's still a living and breathing animal. I've watched a movie once, I forgot what's the name, but our way of killing domesticated animals is not any more humane than how the dolphins are killed. We still use cleavers, knives, rope, electricity, crushing, etc. There's no justification at all in how we kill. In the end, it's still going to be on our plates and we'll still eat it. We are human beings after all.

not the same as cows etc.. as dolphins tend to be just a SMUDGE smarter.. and pigs / cows etc are breed for consumption. Those are wild dolphins, Im glad they dont have hands and can walk on land we would all be dead I assure you.

Citation required as to the distinction to what makes a dolphin any smarter than a pig; they are both very intelligent species regardless.

Taking that aside, it's not the level of intelligence that should decide whether or not we consume an animal. Pigs are far more intelligent than dogs (and keep themselves cleaner). It's the fact that all of these animals can feel pain, and thus why crulety is the heart of this subject. Consider the fact that we boil Lobsters alive and more than a handful of studies have shown they can feel pain. Are lobsters intelligent relative to a dolphin? No, but can they still feel pain? Yes. This is the distinction.

Furthermore, what defines cows and pigs as 'bred for consumption' versus say fishing cod or lobster? They existed well before we decided to farm them in unheard of masses. So just because we keep them in huge industrial farms it's OK to treat them any way we choose? PETA may be over the top some times but their video footage of industrial farms do not lie.

Although some people may claim eating vegetables is not killing, it still is. It's still a living and breathing animal.

If you are saying that plants are a living and breathing animal maybe you should take a second to understand how we classify life:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_classification

Furthermore there is a distinct difference in killing a plant for food and killing an animal for food and why we are not discussing plant cruelty. Animals have a nervous system, which means they can feel pain, which means that if you kill an animal "in-humanely", the last few moments on the earth is going to be horrific and painful for said animal.

I'm not aware of an economical source of meat that does not entail pain and torture for the animal. In the wild all predators inflict pain and fear upon their prey. IMO Humans are more "humane" even in this instance than other predators as evidenced by the scars often found on living wild animals and the carnage seen on dead carcasses many of which were still alive while being eaten. The conclusion we jump to so often b/c we are compassionate createures is that the experience these animals go through b/c they feel pain is the same as we would go through if we met this sort of fate. I'm not sure this conclusion is warranted based on what we actually know about animal cognition. For cultural reasons I don't lke that this is going on.

Additionally that plants don't feel pain is a presumption we make reflecting more our tendencie to anthropomophize animals and not plantsIMO.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/08/980806090010.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back