Double Cone 180 on 180g display?

phatduckk

Hi folks,

I've been researching BK Skimmers and I think a Double Cone 180 will fit my needs - but would love some input from experienced users.

I have a new system on the way: 180g display & 45g sump (clearly less with rock, gear etc) and plan to run a fleece roller. From reading responses on this forum by slief (especially https://forum.reefcentral.com/forum...e-king/2036548-bk-skimmer-for-red-sea-900-3xl) it seems as though a Double Cone 180 would be the best fit.

The tank will, obviously, start with a low load - but if I had to guess I'd say I'd max out at about 6 tang sized fish (actual tangs, fox face, bellus angels etc) and a dozen smaller fish when it's fully stocked.

I've been going back and forth between a Double Cone 200 & 180 and would love some feedback so I can make the "right" purchase.

With fleece you really want to downsize your skimmer since the fleece will remove most of the solids before they ever become dissolved. As such, there will be far less dissolved organics for the skimmer to remove and or build it’s foam head. You’d want to have a pretty heavy fish load for the 180. A heavy load is about 1/2” of fish per display gallon so around 80-90” worth of fish would keep that skimmer happy. The alternative would be the Supermarin 160.

An old thread, but I think the following is similar to above mentioned.

I have been running a 180 gallon tank for 7-8 years with a Eco Dreambox and a DC 200 skimmer from RE.
The tank has a medium to somewhat larger fish load.

I want to implement a rollerfilter, and because of that I have to change sump, I have ordered this one from Synergy Reefs that is at sea towards Norway.

Due to the smaller sump size, my DC 200 will not fit, and it may also be to big because of the fleece filter efficiency.

Does anyone have experience with the Supermarin 160?
Even if this skimmer has been marketed for some time, there are limited user experiences to be found online.
I really want to continue with RE skimmers, and the Supermarin 160 seems to be a possible, maybe only option?
I prefer pump outside skimmer, and even if DC180 could be an option, this may just not fit in my new "small" sump.

PS! The fleece filter I have ordered is not the RS 500 Rollermat, but this one from Reef Factory here in Europe:

Last edited:
Back