Drilled tank

JoshHarpst

Well i went and made that stupid standpipe Hofer Gurgle Buster thingy for the overflow box, and wouldn't you know it, it worked all weekend long but on monday when i came back to school, the darn thing did overflowed again!! Everything in that tank was fine for almost 2 years and the past month has been nothin but a series of bad events. SO i am now considering getting the tank drilled. I know nothing about it so any general info would be great, but my question is, can you get the tank drilled without having to take out all the rock??

TIA

~Josh

Josh--

The standpipe only quiets the overflow noise, it has no bearing on the issue of your tank overflowing. And neither does drilling, per se. As I indicated in my previous message, it sounds like your return pump is pushing more water into the display than can be drained via the overflow. Eventually, the display WILL overflow if this is the case. Spend a couple of bucks to install a value to dial back the return pump, or get a less powerful pump, or increase the size of your overflow drain. If the return pump is pushing less water into the display than CAN be drained continuously, your tank CANNOT overflow (unless something clogs the drain--but that's not particular to your situation, its a risk assumed by anyone with a sump). The dynamic of the loop is easy to visualize.

If you drill, and maintain the same return flow/drain flow ratio you have, the same thing is going to happen--your tank will overflow. If you do drill the tank, be sure to drill more holes than you have now, and/or ones of greater diameter. Finally, if you drill, you MUST remove all the livestock, water, etc., and have it professionally done with the proper tools. Otherwise, you're just looking to destroy your tank and kill everything in it.

This later option represents a serious amount of time, effort, and possibly a non-trivial amount of cash (depending on what's done) at this point. My advice is to save yourself the headache, and just dial back the pump to play with the flow over a few days. This is the root cause of the current problem, and drilling is not the most direct solution. Drill your next tank.

Josh,

What return pump do you have? I am only using a maxi-jet 1200 as my return pump on my 75g tank. Unless you are using the return pump for most of your flow, you can use a fairly low power pump.

--Ray

I have a valve in the return line but i was afraid that if i restricted the pump more than i already am it would hurt the pump. so is what youre telling me its not going to? because if so i am going to restrict it even more. thanks

~Josh

Well, what kind of pump is it? What's it rated for, flow wise? The reason I ask is that most of the time restricting the flow isn't going to be a problem. But, if you're trying to restrict, say, a 2000 gph pump when wide-open down to 200 gph, that's probably not a good idea. On the other hand, restricting a 900 gph pump down to a 450 gph flow isn't likely to damage it.

i have a quiet one pump. It's only restricted about a quarter, so i will restrict it in half from what i read in the last it seems as if that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks a lot for the help, i was just extremely stubborn about restricting it because it produced A LOT of flow. But better less flow than water on the floor again.

~Josh

Back