Drilling tank.

Finis

Is it difficult to do? I'm looking at this 125g tank for sale and incase it's not drilled I would like to drill it. If it's tempered I'm out of luck correct?

Never drilled one but I want to. I've watched videos on YouTube and it seems easy enough. Yes, if it's tempered glass it cannot be drilled.

From everything ive read on here everyone who has problems tries to force the issue. When you get the drill bit running make sure there is water to cool it and facilitate the gridning. And thats whats happening grinding. The diamonds are removing the glass through that process, its not cutting. So you apply almost no pressure to the tank and let the bit do all the work.

Blue painters tape on both sides to prevent chipping as best as possible and then you all done.

There is also a thread around here that talks about the distance you need between the holes so the glass isnt weakened too much.

Drilled 2 holes in 90 gal with new bottom as well as a couple of sumps. No problem so long as you go SLOW and keep the drilling site WET. Hardest part is starting the cut.

I hate to be a critic- as all of the advice is sound. However one must note the level of experience. For someone to have drilled a few tanks or holes, there may have been no problems-but as one who has had hundreds or perhaps thousands of holes drilled-problems do occur. Even the best drillers can have tanks break- seen it dozens of times. I run a hardware store these days- and cut lots of glass-sometimes it breaks for no reason-no matter the technique used. I always suggest using the most experienced person you can find. If there is no one available- practice! Remember however that each hole you cut wears your saw-so use a new one for the tank. If there is a glass shop that can do it-consider it. Best of luck!

One helpful tip would be to use something like clay to form a circle around the hole site. Makes it easier to keep water on the cut.

Back