dtum's Practical Reef - 54 Gallons of Coral Jewels

dtum

I'm setting up a brand new tank and want to invite you for a ride. As with my previous builds, I try to document in both diary and video formats. Pictures are are must.

Quick intro: I live in Toronto, Canada. You may have seen two of my previous tanks: Winterfell Reef (100 gallons) and Pragmatic Reef (180 gallons). There's a number of videos on the internet for both of them. While I'm still enjoying Pragmatic Reef, for over a year now I've wanted to have a second tank, much smaller, something that would host only my most special corals.

23552287352_b2a9f9ae88_b.jpg

The goal for this tank is the following: have a small tank that can be moved if needed that will serve as a backup for my most valued possessions, something is easy to maintain and that will give me an opportunity to try out different equipment than on my main tank. I also want to try a few additives from a few companies and see their effect on the tank's inhabitants.

The vision for this tank is an elevated aquascape, modular, easy to work on and access. Lots of places for fish to hide in. This time around I'm going with lots of tiny fish - the tank will look busy, but primarily with various vibrant little fishies.

As you can see, the goal and vision for this tank is very... practical. Hence the name of the reef and the build thread. I plan to document this on the forum as well as on my YouTube channel.

I will talk more about the equipment in my next posts, but for now let's start with my choice of aquarium.

Originally I was planning to do a custom build as usual, but on a smaller tank the cost is too prohibitive. Plus at this time I did not want to spend too much time designing the stand, sump, etc. I've decided to get something pre-assembled and that comes as a package. After some thinking I ended up choosing a tank from Red Sea - one of their Red Sea Reefer series, a 250 model. I like its length of 36'', the front-to-back is only 20'', which is pushing it, but I can live with it. Their small overflow, the quality of that stand and silent design is what caused me to make up my mind.

So a few days ago I've picked up the tank and immediately dove right into it.

26386909186_12912cb9c0_b.jpg

25810073443_2d0bd91fff_b.jpg

Let's see how it will turn out. In the next post I will talk about my equipment choices.

P.S. My Pragmatic Reef was picked as Reef Central's Tank of the Month in March 2016.

So how does one put this thing together? Turns out it is pretty easy, the first thing it makes you think of is IKEA, but the quality appears to be better.

26386915116_9391de8c94_k.jpg

Got to love the mallet.
26386917056_d70316a7b3_k.jpg

26346675161_54c6bfb25f_k.jpg

And now the stand is almost done
26140005740_63b8eea6b8_k.jpg

Next step is levelling the tank. One thing I've noticed is that even if you level the tank perfectly, once you start filling it with water, you will need to re-shin it a bit, since the joists give underneath.

26386920436_1fbc51b62a_k.jpg

And now it is time for the sump
26386922746_8f4dba2a6e_k.jpg

25808008304_9de59a84ab_k.jpg

I like how the sump spans all the way front to back, always been a fan of large sumps, wish it would be just a tad wider.

25808010494_99a6afebca_k.jpg

Now that the stand and overall setup is done (and that was very easy), it is time to hook up some equipment and add water.

Looking forward to following! Looking for a nice all-in-one style system for my folks. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Nice work! So are we talking prized acros mainly for this tank?

Yep, pretty much only the high-end pieces will end up there. I may start with a bunch of various corals first but will quickly replace only with nice ones once things stabilize.

For equipment I have picked NYOS Quantum 160 Skimmer and EcoTech Vectra M1 return pump, I've heard good things about both and decided to try something new with this tank.
I've already been using MP40 QD on my Pragmatic Reef, so am very much looking forward to running them on this one as well.

26320517772_bbaf4e0b80_b.jpg

25808014644_6678f45e36_b.jpg

Here comes Vectra M1

26320521832_1964bed1aa_b.jpg

26320523332_443d4bca0a_b.jpg

And now that the tank is plumbed, it is a good time to add some sand (Sea-Floor).

26140020970_98c05a238b_b.jpg

After a brief period of contemplation I've decided to jump in with both feet: let's add some water (mostly from my main tank).

25808020664_01b605b39e_b.jpg

Everything is looking good, I'm already working on my fish list. :)

Are you going to use live rock from your main tanks sump or you starting fresh?

I don't have any display-quality pieces in my sump unfortunately, so will have to purchase a bunch of new live rock from a few sources. That's too bad, my existing live rock is currently cooked to perfection.

The water has cleared, so now it is time to start talking lighting. A lot of people were asking about this one, and this time around I'm doing something different.

26140026350_7fa785ea11_b.jpg

I threw some freshly bought (some of it uncured) live rock into the tank and somehow managed to add two fish in there already. A yellow wrasse and pajama cardinal.

26412866555_fc60a0e0fe_b.jpg

Now back to the lighting. Ever since seeing AquaIllumination Prime in person, I've always wanted to try something similar on my aquarium. I run Radions on my main tank, so it only makes sense to try another product from the same company on another. I went with Hydra 52 HD on this tank. Now 3 Hydra 52 is an overkill, I'm pretty sure I could've used 3 or even 2 Hydra 26, but given that this will be hosting all of my prized super expensive and temperamental SPS colonies, I wanted to make sure there was no spread issues and really error on the side of caution.

26492853025_9876313fd7_b.jpg

26466929476_bf5c18f55c_b.jpg

Now here comes the fun part - I did not realize that the mounting hardware for Hydra needs to be attached to the stand on the back wall. Guess what - there's no way I can fit my screwdriver back there, so that leaves me one option - I now have to get all the water out, move the tank, attach the mounts and put it back. Got to love the 54 gallon size - this would be impossible with a bigger tank.

Meanwhile, here's the first YouTube video. Enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cbMQJn123rc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looking good man, That is a really nice tank and stand. I still have some Siporax for you. I have been busy but I'll come by some time soon!

I have a solution for the AI's..... ditch them.

I thought for sure you's be going for a nice sleek MH T5 combo like a Giesseman Infinity (it does come in white).... time will tell I guess....

Back