dtum's Practical Reef - 54 Gallons of Coral Jewels

I have a solution for the AI's..... ditch them.

I thought for sure you's be going for a nice sleek MH T5 combo like a Giesseman Infinity (it does come in white).... time will tell I guess....

From what I've experienced with the AIs so far - I'm very pleased with pretty much everything about them. Software could be a little better.

I really like the look and am willing to give these guys a serious try.

So, the benefits of a small tank allow me to drain the water with fair ease and move the tank if I wanted to. And so I did.

26492855895_bde3057c55_b.jpg

I'm using my Brute trash bin that holds saltwater for this.

26400554762_64c0b1ff85_b.jpg

The first post goes up.

26492858475_56cc710e41_b.jpg

And here are all three of them now

26492859465_e53de36888_b.jpg

26400557842_71b84e1241_b.jpg

It is time to start adding water back in

26220020150_16bf0f66b6_b.jpg

I always notice that even if the tank is perfectly level when it is empty, it may need a bit of re-shimming after the water has been added.

25887981424_e30ef7d7ef_b.jpg

Time to start fooling around with lights. It does look very nice.

26466940396_c1157da4cb_b.jpg

And here's the final result

25890049423_1b4cb4e130_b.jpg

Great setup. I like the idea of a separate system for the most valuable corals. Do you have plans for making this system more fail-safe? (battery backup etc.?) For a system this size it's relatively easy to do :)

Leonardo

Awesome. I set up a reefer 250 about 6 or 7 months ago and am loving it so far. 3 Hydra 52?! I've only got 2 26's haha. Mine are oriented so the pucks are in line left to right instead of front to back like yours are though. I'm sure you wont be having any issues with coverage.

I'm liking your choice to go with mp40s. I went with two mp10s because I was worried the 40s might be overkill, but unfortunately the magnets on the 10s aren't strong enough to use them on the back glass, which is a little thicker than the sides. It still works on the sides, but I really wanted to put them on the back.

I went with the same skimmer you did as well. I'm loving it. Took me a little while to satisfy myself messing around with the two adjustment dials, but its doing great now.

How do you like the Vectra? I skimmed the Red Sea sponsor forum and I think I read that to get the Vectra to couple with the plumbing provided, you need to buy additional fittings? Not sure if I'm thinking of the Vectra or a different pump.

Cant wait to see it with some coral!

Great setup. I like the idea of a separate system for the most valuable corals. Do you have plans for making this system more fail-safe? (battery backup etc.?) For a system this size it's relatively easy to do :)

Leonardo

Thank you, that's a good question. I'm contemplating on whether I should buy another Apex to automate things and get a backup battery. The simplicity of the unit is definitely appealing to me and so far everything is running off of regular outlets - AI and EcoTech both offer full programming, so no need to automate things there.

I'm sure once I will get it full and striving I would want to add as many backup measures as I can :)

How do you like the Vectra? I skimmed the Red Sea sponsor forum and I think I read that to get the Vectra to couple with the plumbing provided, you need to buy additional fittings? Not sure if I'm thinking of the Vectra or a different pump.

I absolutely love it - one amazing piece of equipment, virtually silent and offers tons of options to play with. Unfortunately I have not figured out those options yet - I did connect it with EcoSmart Live, but am running it on a constant schedule. I'm not sure how the variable flow will work with a Herbie style overflow, but definitely something I look forward to experimenting with.

The hook up was pretty easy, especially if you get their accessory pack with different fittings, I did not have one, so I used a part from my Waveline pump and that was the only part that I had to add to this whole setup, everything else came in the Red Sea and EcoTech boxes.

To keep things a little bit more interesting I've added two tiny fish in the tank: yellow wrasse (really like this guy) and pajama cardinal.

25887983814_7dddf5a072_b.jpg

A few people have mentioned that the picture is not centered, they are right and now that I've finalized the location of the tank the picture was moved over my workstation.

26220025910_943d8c7024_b.jpg

Next thing to do is to add lighting under the stand. I really like this LED lighting from COSTCO - it is very low profile and provides awesome lighting underneath the tank.

26400566362_c4c4b514eb_b.jpg

26400568472_225f565d3a_b.jpg

So let's hook it up.

26426754641_6f424ff69a_b.jpg

It is activated by waving your hand underneath - very handy and works well even when hands are wet or your are holding something.

26220030680_6af3ee6f8d_b.jpg

Right now the wiring is all a mess. Cleaning and organizing this is one of the next steps for me.

26426762221_19138ddec3_b.jpg

Shims and picture

A lot of people were asking me when and how I'm going to get rid of those unsightly shims sticking out from underneath the cabinet.

26426763591_1ec5612775_b.jpg

Others were asking me about the off-centre picture behind the aquarium.

25887998964_a797e65e7c_b.jpg

Well, both of the issues have been corrected. Picture is now centered over the desk and I've carefully cut the shims not to stick out. Some were cut with the knife and then broken off and some of them had to be marked with a pencil, yanked out, cut to length and put back in (I like this approach better).

26466958036_3ae2aaf660_b.jpg

As you can see, I've bought more live rock and just piled it on top of each other here. In the next instalment I will go through the process of documenting my new aquascape and getting the look I like. A similar process was done for Pragmatic Reef, this time you will see more pictures and will gain a better understanding of how to achieve a similar result.

26006943854_8f4335848f_b.jpg

Any updates?

I was thinking about getting this tank myself as I like the tank and stand with their clean lines, but I don't like the sump (I know, I could just chuck the sump). I'm also considering using the Triton method after reading d2mini's latest build and doing some research, and that requires a rather large refugium as well as dosing.

How are you liking the tank and the center overflow?

So, it has been 2 months since I've started the tank. The tank is doing great, SPS corals look fairly healthy, many have lost their vibrance but they are not bleaching and polyp extension is through the roof, even better than in the old tank - I think not having a flame angel around could have something to do with it.

I like the tank and don't mind the centre overflow, I like its compactness and how practical it is. Having said that, if the tank was deeper by another 4 inches it would be a lot better.

The sump is quite small, but I've managed to put everything in there and have a few ideas for future modifications.

I've shot a video that overviews my current progress. My goal is to continue stabilizing the system, riding out various mini cycles that are going on in the tank and start working on coloration around September.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1nLhMGbujCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looking really good.
How do you like the AI lights compared to Radions?

I love them. Software is a bit different and gets some getting used to, I miss a few EcoSmartLive features, but overall I really really like the lights.

So to how my SPS will react - too early to tell, I think it will take at least 6 months to figure things out. But so far I'm happy.

Overall, for two months, the colour is very good. As you say, not perfect but many corals are responding very well.
What is the big blue stag looking corals in the back, center?

Overall, for two months, the colour is very good. As you say, not perfect but many corals are responding very well.
What is the big blue stag looking corals in the back, center?

That's blue tort. And it is even a lot bigger than it seems, I've positioned it on a lower rock in the back.

I'm curious what settings you have your MP40s set with. I'm planning a reefer 250 as well but was thinking I would have to go bare bottom with a MP40 in there.

Back