Dudester’s 450g corner in-wall and tank room – help with design

jnarowe - Thanks!

melev - "palace" is a bit of a stretch, but thanks for the compliment nonetheless. I like the idea of the Masonite shell around the new tank, thanks for that. And yes I'm at work, but I usually find time to catch up on my threads in between the action.

GSMguy - BaaaaAaaaaaaaam, right back at ya! Love your new sandbed.

Absolutely incredible, thanks for sharing! I love being able to see all of the framing, especially in the archway.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. It's especially comforting to have the approval of engineers and construction gurus :thumbsup: . I think our builder is doing an excellent job.

wizsmaster - The stand will be made by A.G.E. out of steel. I love the low profile of steel for improved access, as well as the strength and resistance to bending.

Ahh, I was wondering how this new house was coming along. Looks great Mike. I'm sure you can't wait for the finished product.

My wife and I are coming down to Austin (Leander) to look around in 2 weeks. If we move down that way, we will probably buy our first house, but I'll be saving these ideas for when we build our first house.

Perhaps. If only it had a nice 203g A.G.E tank included. :lol:

PM me the address and we will take a look at it.

The house construction is moving along nicely. The walls are in and they're currently installing the doors and trim.

The tank isn't built yet so I still have a little time for some modifications if necessary. One thing I was considering was moving the chiller to the attic. Directly above the tank room is some very easily accessable space. I could run PVC along the wall and directly through the tank room ceiling, right into the chiller. I could then place the chiller onto a pan of some sort with a water leak sensor and/or a drain back to the tank room sink (or even the sump) in the event of a leak. The benefits include more space in the tank room, and the heat generated by the chiller would not be placed into that room at all. And as I understand it (and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) chillers don't put out much humidity, just heat. Our house is built very "green" with insulated/reflective roofing material as well as spray foam insulation, and the attic space will essentially be sealed and contain conditioned air, so I don't expect it to get too hot. In fact, it is my understanding that even in the middle of a Texas summer, my attic will only be about 10-15 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. To me, that sounds even better than running the chiller outside the home, where we often see temperatures exceeding 100 degrees (and humid too; gotta love Texas!).

The only downsides I can see are the fact that I won't be visually inspecting the chiller regularly, it will be more difficult to service (not a big deal), and I'll need a whopper of a pump to feed the chiller. And this is why I'm addressing this point here ...

I'm expecting about 15' of head for the pump to make it up to the attic chiller. I would guess that most pressure-rated pumps capable of overcoming that much head would have 1.5" intakes (or even 2"?). Currently my tank design has the chiller circuit on a closed loop, with a 1" drain from the tank. If I proceed with this plan, I should probably change that to a 1.5" drain to feed the pump, yes? Also, can I get some pump recommendations?

I would talk to Aaron about this, and give Andy a call at TECO as well. That way you hear from a hobbyist and a vendor. And tell us what you find out. :)

Look at Pan World pumps all 1" in and out with lots of head rating. A PS 150 or 200 would probably do it depending upon the recomended through put of the chiller.

Ahhhhh ... it's begining to feel like home here, now that THAT OTHER tank is gone! ;)

and a flow loss shut down switch. with it in the attic, maybe you can modify the access to make it easier?

melev - I spoke with Aaron and his chiller is actually in his garage, not his attic. Either way, it's sitting in a hot environment and working well on his system. He feels the attic will work out well for my situation. I was going to call Andy at Teco but their largest chiller is 1/3 hp and I'm going to want a full horse, so I don't want to bother the guy if I'm not going to buy anything from him. Instead I think I'll call the folks at TradeWind, since I'll more than likely go with their 1 hp unit. They actually make chillers that are designed to function in warmer environments, so it sounds like a perfect match for me.

Bax - The TradeWind 1 hp chiller has a max/min throughput of 1500/3000 gph. Both the intake and outlet plumbing on that unit are 1.5", so it may be better for me to use a pump with 1.5" connections. I do appreciate your recommendation, however, and I realize I can always use fittings to match the sizes if necessary, but I guess from a purist's standpoint I would rather keep everything at 1.5", kapish? Oh, and your final comment cracked me up!

jnarowe - The access to the chiller in the attic will actually be quite easy. The attic is right off the upstairs game room, and we built a door from the game room to a storage platform that we intend to use for, well, storage. Adjacent to the 'planned' storage space is extra finished floor space that extends above the tank room. I'll have to bend down to get beneath an angled roof but I'm not very tall (read 'short') and it won't be an issue at all. I'm not familiar with the flow loss shut down switch but it sounds like something I won't need. Afterall, what'll be the harm if the chiller stops receiving flow?

Whoa, I just had a revelation. Why don't I store my RO/DI holding container in the attic as well, and for that matter, I could even hold my SW mixing vessel there too. Now that would really save some space in the tank room. The wheels are spinning ...

gravity rules. :D

Just a rule of thumb to shut off cooling/heating equipment when there is a pump failure.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13189185#post13189185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
gravity rules. :D

Just a rule of thumb to shut off cooling/heating equipment when there is a pump failure.

First rule of moving water:

DON"T FIGHT PHYSICS!!!!!!!!!! :rollface:

Back