Dudester’s 450g corner in-wall and tank room – help with design

Ed Reef - Thanks man! BTW I'm really liking how your tank is coming along.

Chrisrush - pm returned

atwinparadox2 - Thank you for the inflated and undeserved compliment. I'm looking forward to (eventually) making some progress as well.

Beautiful house -a lot bigger then we see in Europe- and tank, your previous tank looked great, even it was in the early stages. Can't wait to see this tank develop.

Leonardo

Thanks Leonardo and hk45, nice to have you both following along. I'll be sure to post a link to the new thread once I'm ready to resume work on the project.

Hey, Mike -

I've got another question for you (it's uncanny how similar your build is to the plans in my head). What kind/size of standpipes do you have planned for your overflow? I've read a ton about various kinds that people have done (Durso, BeanAnimal, Herbie, CJ, etc), but I'm having trouble finding people that've done them with a wavebox on the same side as the overflow.

Have a good one!

- Eric

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14869402#post14869402 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SonsOfLeda
Hey, Mike -

I've got another question for you (it's uncanny how similar your build is to the plans in my head). What kind/size of standpipes do you have planned for your overflow? I've read a ton about various kinds that people have done (Durso, BeanAnimal, Herbie, CJ, etc), but I'm having trouble finding people that've done them with a wavebox on the same side as the overflow.

Have a good one!

- Eric

Are you sure about that? :D You have been talking to me all this time and you didn't know i have a dual wavebox on the same side with the overflow?

LOL - nothing like a little egg on my face. :lol2: I actually *just* found your latest build thread (obviously after making that last post) and have been looking into standpipes based on that. Funny, huh?

Besides tossing the eggs, any advice for me? How are the CJs working out? :cool:

First of all, thanks ron86hd and welcome to the thread.

Eric - My overflow contains two 2" drains. I plan on using CJ standpipes, only because I've used them in the past with satisfaction and they are extremely simple - just install at the appropriate height and they are good to go. The volume expected through them is such that I would do just fine with a single 2" drain, but I like having a 2nd one just in case one becomes occluded (which is very unlikely, but you never know). I really like what I have read about the BeanAnimal or Herbie drain system as well, but they do require a little bit of extra plumbing so I think I'll stick with the CJ's. The only complicating factor that the wavebox adds is that there will be some sloshing of water into the overflow, but as long as the drain pipes are high enough the noise shouldn't be too substantial, especially with it enclosed in a tank room. I'm not sure if the BeanAnimal drain system would eliminate that noise completely or not - anybody know?

Jar*Head - No way you'll get banned from this forum bro, please feel free to share any advice you have.

My tank is the same as Mike except it longer and cheaper :D but i agree with Mike as long as you adjust the stand pipe correctly you can avoid the sloshing sound.

Any updates Mike? My wife and I are moving on the 11th of July. We found a rent house in the Cedar Park which will suffice till we build in 2 years.

Thanks for asking Chris, and congrats on the move, it'll be good to have another knowledgable reefer in the area.

Progress remains quite slow. We're working on the pool and hardscape in the back right now, and after that will come the landscaping. Once that's completed I'll have the green light to make progress on the tank. I might try to plumb things up sooner than that and get some salt water flowing. No lights or anything else, just water, sand, LR and skimming. If I can do that for several months without adding any livestock I may be able to avoid any kind of cycle.

You can come over and setup my 75 for me, we're not far from the office. I'll make Caucasians for you even! I got everything but time.

Glad to hear things are going well, albeit slowly.

Thanks for the updates Mike. Once we get settled into the house, we will have to get together.

Good idea on getting the water flowing. Anytime you can speed up a cycle would be a good idea.

Dude!

There will be beverages involved for certain once you've got some water flowing in there to look at!

Back