Dudester’s 450g corner in-wall and tank room – help with design

Hi Folks, Just wanted to ask what vendor are you guys using to get your A.G.E. tanks from since A.G.E.'s website says they don't sell directly to the public? Also, I was wondering why Hybrid tanks seem to be the direction everyone is going? I'm looking to build somewhere between a 240 and 350 gallon setup. Should I go with internal or external overflows?

And lastly, Thanks for letting me join your thread and AWESOME tank Dudester!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15515709#post15515709 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719
Hi Folks, Just wanted to ask what vendor are you guys using to get your A.G.E. tanks from since A.G.E.'s website says they don't sell directly to the public? Also, I was wondering why Hybrid tanks seem to be the direction everyone is going? I'm looking to build somewhere between a 240 and 350 gallon setup. Should I go with internal or external overflows?

And lastly, Thanks for letting me join your thread and AWESOME tank Dudester!!!

A.G.E. sells through your LFS - they just have to call A.G.E. to become a dealer. Nothing magic about it. If your LFS won't make the effort to do that for you, it's time to change stores... ;)

If you can't find a dealer, PM me and I'll give you a couple of names and phone numbers...

I like my external overflows...makes the inside of the tank much cleaner looking... JMHO

LL

Unfortunately, my closest LFS that specializes in salt water is 45 minutes away from me and their prices are almost double of the online stores. Almost everything I have I purchased online. My tank came from my closest online vendor (due to price) and I had to drive to Pennsylvania 2-1/2 hours one way to get it!

I too am leaning towards the external overflow for the "cleaner look" my current tank is internal and it eats up the room for good aquascaping.

I thought about going witha ******* or MRC all acrylic tank but I'm guessing the reason for the hybrids is the reduced scratchability of the glass and the lighter weight? Am I right?

PM'ing you for the list!

Bax - Will do on the hardscape photo. Give me 3 more weeks.

reef / aholic - Hey, haven't seen you around in a while, hope all's well. You've been talking about a new tank longer than I have :D .

subman719 - By "hybrid" are you referring to the PVC bottom? Because I know that others are combining acrylic with glass, which is what I would consider a true hybrid tank. At any rate, I got my A.G.E. tank through Kingfish. Ask for John at 512-371-3366. And no, I hold no financial interest in that LFS in case anyone was wondering. I am good friends with the owners, though, but even if I wasn't I would still recommend them. If you're worried about cost then don't even look at a custom A.G.E. tank, it will be higher than other tank manufacturers. But for me it was worth it. Their craftsmanship is hands down the best I've seen, and they have never had a tank leak. That piece of mind alone was worth the cost to me, since I don't plan on a tank change for at least 15 years.

Thanks Dudester! Yes, by "hybrid" I was referring to the combination of glass and acrylic. I thought about going all glass with Starfire front and sides but I was concerned about how many "dozen guys" I would need to get that beast in my house. I like the idea of glass for it's resistance to scratching and discoloration. However, I thought about the acrylic for it's light weight and the ability to polish out the scratches and ease of drilling should I need to myself. I figured that a "hybrid" would be the best of both worlds and was hoping price would fall in with the other two options. As for price, yes, it is a concern but like you, I don't plan on doing this again for a VERY long time and want the peace of mind that my house won't become a swimming pool! You really do have me scared on the price thing though! LOL :) :(

I think fish tanks are like my Harley, they ought to just give you the tank (or the Harley), its everything else that really cost you. I wondered about the cost of the A. G. E. tanks also, my LFs dosn't want to give me a price for a 300g locally made glass tank, I can't even guess what kinda of a mark up he would put on an A.G.E. tank. I haven't a clue what they cost, I guess the best way to find out is to get a price quote from several LFS.

Mike - with kids and work I have not had any time but I'm going to make time for me this year... I have already talked to A.G.E about doing something they have not done before (can you say white and Japaneses inspired overflow )... Need to post some more picture of the casa when you get a chance... Do you have a man cave in the new place yet...

I'm intrigued ... definitely post a link when you start a thread, I wanna see what you have in mind. As far as a man cave, well, does my tank room count? It has an ethernet connection, an in-ceiling stereo speaker and home audio music selector. But alas, no space to store a beer keg and no flat screen TV.

The first thing I need to do is put down my 16" x 16" travertine flooring and repaint the room that my tank will be going in...

I'm thinking about doing a 72"x 40"x 20" from the Maldives picures I have been looking at... The stand will have motorized shelves with heavy equipment rails that hold 910lbs and led panels for lighting the equipment under the stand... Looking into running an iMac or Mac mini for the controller software, which will be intergraded in the stand by a pull out drawer"¦ Thinking about covering the stand in Crushed Bamboo or L-strip Bac-Bac Mat or Cocoterra Basilian Tiles or Polycarbonate Sheet"¦

More to come when I ever get around to starting my own thread on reefcentral.com"¦

Sweeeet...too Sweeeet..I like how the big guys think.I really want to play with some LED's next year. I am just a humble grass Hopper.
.hehehehe

Not yet Clayton ... still saving up for the yard. Dang, this tank better be good once it's up and running, or it could go down as the biggest let down in RC history!

Sweet build Mike! I'm surprised I missed it, but it looks like it's just itching for some water. Hope you get to it soon. Doesn't look like you need it, but LMK if you need any help as I'm not far ... and I'd love to have an excuse to see your setup!

Fantastic display. Just as a word of caution though. You happen to have a X-hatch on your list. 99.1% are model citizens but I experienced one of the .09% of x-hatches that attended the Fuscus and Clown school of behavior. Completely went postal after about 6 months and ate anthias, basslets, gobies, blennies, and stressed larger fish to death. May not be an issue in a large display like yours, but I have heard of other possessed x-hatches. Great stuff and looking forward to the fisnished product. T

Just now catching up with your thread and I have to say I'm impressed. Even more so when I saw that you're in Austin so I actually have a chance of seeing this someday. All I can say is "WOW". Keep us posted...

Back