Durso vs. Stockman Standpipe Overflow

Tyronius

Durso or Stockman standpipe? These two options seem to be the best solutions to a noisy overflow. Please state experiences and preferences? Is there a better option I have not found yet? I also have not decided on drilling the side of my 55 gal or just using an over the tank overflow box. Both standpipes seem to work in either application.

I use Durso and like it. The only problem I ever had was a snail
somehow crawled in one, but I have duels so it did'nt matter
much. As far as noise it is hardly noticable, and my pump is in
the basement, so the main noise I hear is a magnetic ballast that
I am going to replace with an electronic when the economy turns
around.
I have lots of room, if I did'nt those others seem cool. Never tried myself.

Thanks Frankenpora, I have seen your setup (got some macro algae from you a while back) and I dont remember it being very noisy. When I finaly get everything set up im going to want some of those great frags you got!

I like the hofer gurgle buster idea. Nice and small. Thanks spleify for the website!

YOu can make the HGB to work at any height. I just put one on my new tank and it is about 13" tall, the ones on my cube are about 8". You can make them any height.

Oh, and you won't ever have to worry about anything getting in it and cloging them, I do absolutely recommend having 2 though, one just for emergency.

JM2C

Both work great. I have used both. The only downside to each would be the potential to be clogged with the durso, and the potential for the upper part to be sucked down on the gurrgle buster. That would cause each to stop flow, causing overflow. each has happened to me but was lucky enough to catch before the problem was out of hand.

I have tried the gurgle buster it worked ok for me but a snail dodger caught in it and my tank overflowed. Luckily I was there to fix the problem. But to each his own. Now I use durso and love it my tank is quiet more so that the gb. I to havehad a snail crawl into it and it still worked without overflowing. Good luck there both easy to make. If you have a hang on overflow i'd recomend the gb.

Durso, best I have, the gurgle buster did not work after I got more flow running in my tank.

+1 on durso.

Protecting the inlet is a good idea for a durso. I also made sure the top of the pipe can be removed in the event anything were to go wrong.

Thanks Dave & Monica. Interesting link, I like how he slimmed down the durso's elbows.

Durso seems to be winning...

I also use Durso.

For you gurgle busters, have you tried a tie wrap around the bottom once you get it adjusted?

Seems it would stop the pipe from sliding down.

all i do is stick a piece of 1/4" air tubing in the drain in my over flow no salt creep to clog no pcv to buy or cut and no loud gurgle

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14905141#post14905141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 68RUSTANG
I also use Durso.

For you gurgle busters, have you tried a tie wrap around the bottom once you get it adjusted?

Seems it would stop the pipe from sliding down.

Never needed to, but I suppose if you make the bell to "sloppy" then that would be a good idea to keep it in place.

The HGB uses 1/4" airline tubing also for fine tuning.

Back