ebay find... is this legit?

~RuSh~

I've been wanting to go led's for my next 40 brdr setup, but after stumbling across this Metal halide fixture I admit, I am tempted. However since I've been planning on led's I've done no research on MH's and I don't know if this is a good deal or if it's what I need for a 40? If someone could take a peek quick for me and let me know what you think... any help is appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-W-iceca...551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27de79a0ef

I see. I guess that was in part what my question was. So that includes everything I would need? Is it a quality setup for MH?

You can get a full spectrum LED unit for a little more money, it will use a lot less electricity, put out a lot less heat, and never have to buy bulbs.

Steve

I do understand that. Like I said I have been researching led's for a while and I had planned on a reefbreeders photon 24, but this would save me some cash up front at least. It would be nice to be able to compare MH vs LED as well, form my own opinion on the heavily debated topic.

You are not saving much cash if you end up changing it later. You won't be able to sell it for the price you got it.

True. I'm not looking for an absolute solution though. I have never had MH's and I'm in the hobby for the multitude of methods to succeed. For a few years I could potentially run a setup like this and spend about the same amount of money I would on a new photon 24 - I'm not saying one is better than the other, I just didn't want to get ripped off if I did decide to snatch this up.

I think that is a good deal for a quality setup. Only thing that would concern me is that IceCap is no more and Im not sure how you would get service on the ballast. I think somebody from IceCap now works for another company and continues to make the ballasts under a different name. So maybe he can service the ballasts. Not sure. You may also want to consider the price to get a fresh new bulb for it as well depending on how you like the look of whatever bulb comes with it. I would go for it. Im one of the people that tried LED and went back to MH/T5.

Dennis

PS: Also note the cost of shipping in the ad.

First of all, it is not a good deal consider:
1. there is no age on the bulb, which is the expensive part in the fixture. A quality new bulb is about $60 to $100.

2. shipping is very high consider the ballast and pendant is not very heavy.

3. IceCap was out of business for a long time and despite the seller claim the ballast is new, the whole setup is at least several years old.

The ballast is a mediocre ballast, the reflector is mediocre at best, though it will work it isn't exactly a great setup. As Dennis pointed out, there will be issues with any service and the setup isn't really worth much in the end.

Back