Eclipse help

playerx2

anyone know what all would have to be swapped out to do a sw setup in an eclipse tank. the tank is about 40 gallons and i want to do FOWLR. i have a hang on protein skimmer, but would i need a new filter? any ideas?

kegan

Some salt water and live rock, sand is optional. I do not use any type of mechanical filtration on my tank and things are just fine. Obviously a cycle will be expected so watch your water params for the first year pretty closely. If you have used copper based medications in the FW tank, throw away anything that has been in contact with it.

I have the same size tank, using it as a home for a peacock mantis and a damsel. I'm not very happy with it, to be honest. The filtration isn't adequate to keep the water "sparkling" like I'd prefer. If your tank will be FOWLR, the lighting will be fine, you might even be able to keep a few very low-light mushrooms. One of the ballasts in my hood blew a long while ago, supposedly it can't be fixed w/o getting a whole new hood! The single bulb is fine for my mantis and the coralline algae has survived in spite of the low light. There were a few polyps on the rocks, but they died off. A couple of mushrooms are still hanging in there, but they're not growing. If you ever think you'll want to keep corals, you may want to look into getting a pc retro kit for the hood.

Back