Ecotech 2xMP40 or 1xMP60 or other ideas...

stevereef

Hello all, I am seeking people's assistance with creating extra flow in my 120g mix tank.

Problem/Issue: stadium aquascaping, deadspots where detritus builds up.

Current flow: Mag 18 return and 2xHydro Koralias 4 on Hydor wavemaker (located on the opposite sides)

Exploring ideas: 2xMP40 or 1MP60 by Ecotech or any other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4389.JPG
    IMG_4389.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I would get the 2 mp40's because you can put one high and one low opposite corners of the tank. If you tank is thicker then 3/4 in then you will need the 1 mp60.

Now if you really want to get cute....... you dont use the mp's at all and drill the back of your tank and add a closed loop system. I have a 185 that is 60 L x 24 W x 30 T and I have 12 -1/2in holes in the back. The intake hole is 1 in and the rest are 1/2. No dead spots and flow all over the place. Saved me 100's.

RamJr: it would be hard to move the tank and drill at the present moment. An idea, I'll keep in mind for my next tank build. Do you have pictures you can share? Where's the placemet of your pump?

JG1: Why two MP40? Do you have experience? What are the benefits of having 2xMP40 vs. 1xMP60? Won't the flow, under current, and waves run the throughout the tank? My glass tank is 12mm thick.

RamJr: it would be hard to move the tank and drill at the present moment. An idea, I'll keep in mind for my next tank build. Do you have pictures you can share? Where's the placemet of your pump? My glass tank is 12mm thick.

JG1: Why two MP40? Do you have experience? What are the benefits of having 2xMP40 vs. 1xMP60? Won't the flow, under current, and waves run the throughout the tank?

RamJr: it would be hard to move the tank and drill at the present moment. An idea, I'll keep in mind for my next tank build. Do you have pictures you can share? Where's the placemet of your pump?

JG1: Why two MP40? Do you have experience? What are the benefits of having 2xMP40 vs. 1xMP60? Won't the flow, under current, and waves run the throughout the tank? My glass tank is 12mm thick.

Yes I do. I have two MP40w's on a 48x24x20.

One MP60 is going to be too much for that tank...they're really meant for 6' long tanks. With two MP40's you can put one on each side, run them in master/slave mode, and the flow will be perfect coming from the left and the right.

I have a 120 gallon, just added an mp40 and second one will be here on wed. ...the flow is awesome, but two pumps is better than one, I've seen an mp60 in a 300 gallon and flow is amazing going one way but no flow coming back. So far I love my mp40. The flow is amazing. At first I was disappointed but because I have an 18x26x15 toadstool smack in the middle of my tank and 2nd mp40 was needed. Do be prepared for some noise as I too kept some koralias before and now my mp40's do produce a louder humming noise, depending on mode and speed.

2 mp40 is going to work out better then one mp60.

You will have more then double the flow then you have now with 2 mp40s.

thanks for sharing this info, would you guys be so kind and post pictures or videos? I want to see them in action in a tank setup similar to mine before I invest top dollars, if you know what I mean. thanks!

I have an MP60 in my 6ft. 180g and another one is getting here on Friday. I was thinking I could save some money by buying 1 MP60 for flow. But one only creates flow to one side. Also I have it in setting #5 if I go higher it starts creating a sandstorm inside my tank. I almost have the same type of aquascaping as you.

If you go for MP60S get some ear plugs you will need them

Not IME. The MP60 is more quiet than my older MP40Ws (not ES). I currently have 1 MP40 and 1 MP60 on the other side in my 135G, with 2xTunze 6080 in the back and probably will put another MP40 on to balance them out.

stevereef, I vote for 2xMP40.

attachment.php

Thanks everyone, the consensus is two MP40 for my tank. I'll start with one and then get another one down the road. These pumps are expensive to say the least and since there's no other competitor around they have the market cornered with their pricing. But it sounds like it'll be worth the investment.

Just to throw a stick into the mix, those with MP40/60 did you guys consider the Tunze Nano wavebox?

I agree, two MP40's would be ideal, especially with your current rockwork. I am currently running a signle MP60 on a 48x30x24 tank. So far I think it is perfect, although, I have very little rock in the tank.

You could save some cash and simply rip out about half of the rock in your tank. If you did that you would only need one mp40 in addition to your koralias.

On second thought, with your particular rockwork, MP40s are not the ideal solution, most of the wide flow would be immediately blocked by your rockwork. A tunze stream would be better IMO. I think a pair of old 6100's would be perfect for your tank, and you might only drop $300....rather than $1000 for the MP40's.

Over this weekend, I found time to work on my tank. I yanked out the Hydor wave maker system and install the one MP40. I will need to add another soon.

I also plan to re-aquascape and remove all the sand from my system.

Thanks guys for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_4468.jpg
    IMG_4468.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4469.jpg
    IMG_4469.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4470.jpg
    IMG_4470.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4471.jpg