New idea for flow in a reef tank?

Reef noob_

currently in my 29 gallon reef i have 2 hydor koralia 425s for flow, one on either side of the tank. i was reading an issue of CORAL magazine last night and someone wrote that an optimum way of flow in a reef tank would be to have a nice wave on for 30 minutes or so then strong laminar flow for 30 minutes back and forth, the perfect balance between disloging particulates (wave) and carrying them into the sump (laminar)

here is my idea, i would get a jbj ocean pulse duo for my 2 koralia 425s thats on a timer so when the timer goes on waves start, at the same time the laminar flow stops then 30 minutes later the cycle reverses and laminar starts and waves stop. my way of creating laminar flow would be three hydor koralias 240s on the back of the tank in different locations. anyone have any advice? good idea? bad idea? experiences? please leave a response below.

or i could get a mp10 lol but this is more fun.

I use MP-10's. The Koralia's have issues running backwards or not running at all when connected to controller, you may need to switch to a powerhead designed to work with a controller.

I have a WP-25 and like it a lot. I have koralias on my freshwater tank and they start backwards all the time, so annoying.

I use MP-10's. The Koralia's have issues running backwards or not running at all when connected to controller, you may need to switch to a powerhead designed to work with a controller.

What profiles do you use for your MP-10's?

I have mine set on AntiSync running ReefCrest all day. I'm wondering if I shouldn't spice things up a little?

i have a lead on an mp 10, better idea just to use one of these? if so what program and how do i program it without an apex?

You could try it. I've read that the Koralia pumps sometimes start to run backwards when you put them on a wavemaker. You can search the equipment forums for more about this.

If you try it you should consider a better powerhead like the Ecotechs or Jabeos.

What profiles do you use for your MP-10's?

I have mine set on AntiSync running ReefCrest all day. I'm wondering if I shouldn't spice things up a little?

I run 40% lagoon at night, move to 50% reef crest in the morning, shoot up to 75% reef crest at noon, 1/2 hour of pulse at 5pm, then back to 75% reef crest until 9pm, then lagoon. Probably more changes then necessary, but the corals seem happy so I'm reluctant to change. I don't like to run the MP's over 75%, they make too much noise for my liking.

Reefcrest 24/7 for me, if you line them up right they should not make much noise, even at full power.
Random flow of any kind seems key to happy corals.

I run 40% lagoon at night, move to 50% reef crest in the morning, shoot up to 75% reef crest at noon, 1/2 hour of pulse at 5pm, then back to 75% reef crest until 9pm, then lagoon. Probably more changes then necessary, but the corals seem happy so I'm reluctant to change. I don't like to run the MP's over 75%, they make too much noise for my liking.

I just installed 2x MP-40s in my 130g system. They run reef crest about 40% power full time, night mode is setup to be 50% power for 8 hours that comes on about 10pm.

I setup using the controller that come with the pump, but I find the interface way too confusing. Flashing yellow amber, green, wait was that purple and or cyan and green. Arrrrgh. I'm going to use a controller like Apex or Reeflink over the boxes, I think it will be easier.

Pumps are configured to be master / slave, with the slave in sync mode. I can't actually see the difference between sync and anti-sync by looking at the tank. Nor could I really "tune" a wave using pulse mode.

Not sure if I'm being retarded or if the vortex pump configuration is a case of marketing hype over reality. Don't get me wrong, the pumps are good and all. But "nutrient transport mode". Really?

-droog

Never mind, when I asked if there was anything wrong he said the wire sheathe was gone and wires were exposed so....

How many rw-8 should I get? One or two?

Back