Electricians: Wiring Question

Reefmedic79

Life and Reef Saver
Building a Canopy that is going to house the following components

3 Meanwell 60-48
2 Rapid LED DDC-01 PWM Daylight Controllers
3-4in computer fans for my heatsinks

My goal is to limit the number of wires coming out of the canopy, and in turn limit the amount of plug use.

Can the drivers be wired together to run off one plug?
Can the controllers be wired together to run off one 10V AC Adapter?
Can the fans be wired together to run off one 12V AC adapter?

If yes, do I wire them in a circle similar to how the LED's are wired, or do I bring each components +/- wires to thier respective pairs for the main power wires to for a "Y" like connection?

Hope I painted a clear enough picture, Thanks in advance.

Additional?? If the above works, how many fans can I put on one plug, thinking of adding 2 more fans to the mix.

Last edited:
Its all about current draw. Your AC line will most likely be totally fine assuming its pretty much a standard computer/monitor cable. Those things normally carry much more power than those three Meanwells combined do. Specs say current draw should be about 3.6A, and i think the cables are normally rated for 10A or 15A.

Not sure what the current draw on the DDC-01 is, but the wall warts that come with it are probably only rated for it (why include an oversized adapter). But you can power both of these wall warts off the same AC power cable that feeds the Meanwells.

Fans also usually say their current draw on the sticker on the bearing side. Its usually really low, like 0.1A. A wall wart that produces 0.5A (also found on the wall wart) could power 5 fans then. Again, this could be powered off the same AC line that the Meanwells run off of.

If it were me, i would probably run just the one AC line to the wall, and power the rest in the canopy.

As for the how: With LEDs you want them all to share the same current, so you make a loop. With all these things you want them to share the same voltage (the AC line voltage) so they are all connected at the same point.

Last edited:
You could also run the fans off the 10 volt adapter if it has enough output. If this is only for 36 leds, two of those fans will be more than enough. I have two 3" fans over 40" of heatsink, and it stays cool with 150 watts of leds.

Everything except the leds should be wired in parallel. This>> "or do I bring each components +/- wires to thier respective pairs for the main power wires to for a "Y" like connection?"

Last edited:
@ Gorgok The DCC-001 works as a PWM pot I believe for the dimmable drivers.

@reefergeorge, At minimum I need 3 I'm using 3 individual 6" MakersLED heatsinks. the other 2 was as to blow fresh air into the the compartment of my hood that is housing all the drivers and controllers. The "floor" that these items will be mounted to, will have the heatsinks on the other side with 4" holes drilled over them for the fans to get air. The three fans will probably just passively pull air into the hood due to negative pressure, I was just thinking of giving it a boost.

Last edited:
Its all about current draw. Your AC line will most likely be totally fine assuming its pretty much a standard computer/monitor cable. Those things normally carry much more power than those three Meanwells combined do. Specs say current draw should be about 3.6A, and i think the cables are normally rated for 10A or 15A.

Not sure what the current draw on the DDC-01 is, but the wall warts that come with it are probably only rated for it (why include an oversized adapter). But you can power both of these wall warts off the same AC power cable that feeds the Meanwells.

Fans also usually say their current draw on the sticker on the bearing side. Its usually really low, like 0.1A. A wall wart that produces 0.5A (also found on the wall wart) could power 5 fans then. Again, this could be powered off the same AC line that the Meanwells run off of.

If it were me, i would probably run just the one AC line to the wall, and power the rest in the canopy.

As for the how: With LEDs you want them all to share the same current, so you make a loop. With all these things you want them to share the same voltage (the AC line voltage) so they are all connected at the same point.

Seems like sound advice

Back