Emergency - Coral Beauty Jumped At 8:40ish Found Him At 8:50

golby

Amazingly, he's breathing...barely

he was covered in dust, i panicked and gave him a quick freshwater bath (easier to grab freshwater) and about 20 seconds later, took some tank water and put it in a pot. He's in there now and he is breathing, but on his side/upside down.

I have no QT. Suggestions for what to do to help him?!

I remember seeing a fisher once in a catch and release program, holding the fish in front of running water, so I've been stirring the water a bit in front of him.

I would have tried to place him back in the tank... the fresh water rinse prob stressed him out even more, and to top it off the abrupt salinity change prob didn't do him any good either. Ive had a few jumpers and since run some kind of lid, but ive always just put em back in. Good luck!

you could hold him in front of a small powerhead until it revives him i had to do it once with a fish and it worked although it took awhile when he gets his strength back you will be able to feel it trying to swim from your hand it does take some time

how do you know it jump out a 840ish and you found him at 850, ~10 minutes is a long time, anyways, get him in some tank water, get a power head and an air stone in there, the freshwater dip might have stressed him even more, hope he makes it, good luck

sana

I know it was about 840...because the cat was oddly paying interest to the back of the tank, but then the dog chased her and I thought perhaps they were playing and she cornered herself. Then I noticed that I hadn't seen the coral beauty and that the cat went back over to look at the back of the tank. that's when i got up and found him...he's in my DT now...not looking too good. Eyes are clouded over and he's not swimming. He's breathing regularly though...

Throw it back in the tank._ I had a pyramid butterfly jump flop in dust and doghair, I threw him back in hair and all. The other fish acted like it was a new addition and harrassed him but he was okay.He was probably out two minutes.

He can make it. My tang had a VERY close call with the "Light", and made a beautiful recovery......a year later, still doing very well. Good luck buddy!

Well, I held him in front of the powerhead (at a safe distance) and he had enough juice to swim a few inches at a time. But after about an hour and a half, he wasn't getting any better. I tried holding him near the powerhead one last time to bring some fresh oxygen, but he just died.

Sorry for your loss man......jumpers suck....its a toss up between ehstetics of open top and security of a lid...I take the risk of open top but I have a light fixture thats 12 inches wide only 5 inches off the water...it offers some protection.....now that I think about it I may go get a lid tomorrow. Looking at my tank now that my fish are all full grown I amnguessing I have 7 or 8 hundred bucks worth of fish in there and my emperor I could pry sell for 150 alone....I would be pi%%$d if he went carpet surfing....

Aww that sucks about your fish :( Sorry about your loss. I didn't know those types of fishes were known for jumping. Some type of cover or netting would be great just to avoid another tragedy :(

Piece of mind:

tank-cover2.JPG

tank-cover3.JPG

Over the years I've lost 3 Anthias. a Heniochus and a male Clarki clownfish I had 4 years. There are probably others that I don't recall. Losing the male Clarki did it for me, I was totally gutted. Luckily my female accepted a new male and they've been together a few weeks now.

When I moved house and subsequently moved fish from a 50g to the 340 my Coral Beauty jumped out the bucket it was being transported in. I left in the porch, came back and found it on the floor. It was 5-10 minutes - not really sure. That was 3 and a half years ago and it's still with me now. Sorry for your loss, man. Get a cover.

That's a bummer. I had a glass top when I had my 58G, but I hated constantly cleaning the glass due to light obstruction. When I upgraded to a 90G I ran an open top. And had a firefish jump. After that I went with eggcrate and got a flasher wrasse. It lasted about 2 months before it jumped thru the eggcrate. I got another one. He lasted a week before he jumped. Eggcrate is suppose to help with jumpers...not in my case. I now use bird netting instead of the eggcrate b/c its not as unsightly, but i give up on fish that are "known" jumpers

Yeah, as soon as I have time, I'll be making a trip to home depot to explore egg crate and perhaps some other options. I don't think I'll put it straight over the tank though...my canopy has me covered on three sides so I think that I'm going to put it on the fourth side (vertically on the wall side of the tank). That way I don't lose any light.

I built a canopy without a top. A fish would have to jump almost eight inches to get out of the tank. I'm sure that a fish could make the jump but since I built it not one jumper.

Back