Equipment Recomendations for 225 gallon custom build

Some early reports suggest the RW line is an improvement over the WP. Though I don't think the RW analog for the WP60 has appeared yet. Wouldn't think a euro braced 220 would use 3/4 inch glass? My 265 is 12 mm (1/2 inch).

Good to read your post again ca1ore!

Wouldn't I just grab 3? Then I could have better distribution instead of two wp60s. Also my only problem with these pumps is that they gave wires. Would I be able to put them all on the back or am I losing an optimal configuration?

Good to read your post again ca1ore!

Wouldn't I just grab 3? Then I could have better distribution instead of two wp60s. Also my only problem with these pumps is that they gave wires. Would I be able to put them all on the back or am I losing an optimal configuration?

I started out on my 265 with dual MP40s, one on each end, but was ultimately unhappy with the amount of flow. So I got a single MP60 for one end and relocated the 40 to the rear wall. Much happier - at least I am, corals haven't said.

I absolutely HATE wires in my tanks, so the Vortech pumps are the way I go mainly, but they are really pricey (though I took advantage of the 20% rebate for two of them). Jebao pumps are fine. Who knows how long they'll last, but WTH, they're cheap(er). I do run a single WP25 along the back wall for some point source flow.

I think you'd have to experiment with three along the back. You'd likely not get that back and forth slopping action that passes for waves :), but that's overrated anyhow.

Last edited:
I have a 220 and had some of the same questions as you.

For lighting I found a used Catalina fixture with 6 t5 bulbs and moonlights. Only cost me $100.

For a sump I wanted a ruby trigger. But figured I would save some money and got an eshopps

Skimmer I bought a tunze 9410. A little small for a tank my size but I have a small fish bio load.

I went cheap on heater and bought 2 cheapie fr pet smart. I felt 2 was better than one large one incase one quit I still had another.

So I'm ordering a tank from MiraclesAquarium. It will measure 72"x30"x24" and be Eurobraced. My only problem right now is finalizing the equipment list.

I need the following

Lights

Preferably A T5 fixture. I already own two kessils but I would rather buy an entire new fixture for for my tank then buy another kessil just because Ilike the look of T5's over any led fixture on the market, I don't want Hallides either because of PUC costs.

what size do I go for? how many bulbs? can i get away with a 60" fixture? I might even put my two kessils on there somehow anyway.

SUMP

I don't want to do a DIY I would rather get a manufactured brand of sump. I'm a really big fan of Trigger System Sumps but for some reason they havn't been replying to my emails for a custom made sump. I've purchased one before and really love their work but the lack of attention to my emails has left me very unimpressed. I want a sump with a refugium and sump holders as well as made of acrylic. suggestions for a large sump would be great.

Heater

I need a nice heater that's big enough to warm at least 230 gallons of water easily, without having to buy two hearters. If I need to then I guess I must

Protein Skimmer

I need a protein skimmer that can easily handle a Very heavy bioload that fits in sump but also won't cost an arm and a leg like $800.00. I'm willing to spend $500-$600 max. I also don't want something cheap like an SWC (sorry swc fans) I want something with a good pump like a bubble blaster. I need the customer service if something goes wrong.

That pretty much sums it up. Thank you SO Much for your help folks

ok so i ditched the reef octopus because i'm reading too many reviews that it's too loud. any recommendations?

I measured the aquarium and it can hold 205 gallons with a 30 gallon sump, i'm going to stock heavy and the skimmer space is 16.75"x 14.5". my budget is now $500-$800.00

i need something quiet and reliable

I have the new octopus elite int-200 that is working quite well on my 180g tank. It's very quiet with the DC pump, and about $600 if I recall.

Back