Ever accidentally dropped something into your aquarium?

MedcinMn

Just curious what you've accidentally dropped into you tank, and if it had any adverse effects. Screws, nuts, bolts, wire, extra parts etc.

I dropped a stainless steel screw once, didn't seem to do anything negative.

Beer..... an entire bottle of Spaten Optimater released into my 180 Gallon SPS reef.

Luckily no inhabitants showed any adverse effects what so ever.

That was the last time I rested my beer on the tank center brace while I was cleaning it lol.

Flashlight that was found 3 days later. I will have a talk with the boy one day over that one.

16 oz of VSV that was sitting on a sump corner that fell in after I went running to see what the boy did in the other room. He decided to jump off the bed and see if he could fly. He didn't.

Yeah, my 48" flo light fixture, totally plugged in & turned on, & guess what my stupid arse did? Yep, went right in after it, never thinking to unplug it first. For whatever reason, I never received a shock & the fixture kept working, of course I cleaned & dried it off first. That was dumb, I often think about how that could have been the end for me!

ouch... the result?

lol yeah..

it stayed on for like 30secs after it was out of the tank and died.. put it on ebay, stating what happened.. still sold for 100 bucks lol.

oh yeah, didnt effect tank whatsoever.. i dont see why it would have though.

The cat. While I was setting up the tank she was anxious to see this new strange thing I brought home..so she jumped on the ledge and went right in. I'll never forget the look on her face.

Yeah, my 48" flo light fixture, totally plugged in & turned on, & guess what my stupid arse did? Yep, went right in after it, never thinking to unplug it first. For whatever reason, I never received a shock & the fixture kept working, of course I cleaned & dried it off first. That was dumb, I often think about how that could have been the end for me!
It's amazing what you'll do out of reaction even though you know better. When I was in highschool I watched this girl reach into a fryer that she had just dropped tongs into"¦ 18 years later I can still see it clearly in my mind.

I've never dropped anything in any fish tanks I've kept. But I dropped a nights worth of pizza delivery tips into a kingsnakes cage once. Unfortunately that snake was overly aggressive and didn't like my hands in his cage ever.

Three bites was worth getting my $100 back though.

I don't know who did it but I found a penny in the sand of my tank. I could hardley tell what it was till I cleaned it off a little. It was totaly deformed and half eaten away. My corals never showed any signes of distress. I'm glad they don't put much copper in pennies anymore!!!

I've done the light fixture thing at least twice. I never got shocked, lost a light or a critter. I can't believe it, both the luck and my repeated stupidity.

I've also dropped a few stainless screws over the years and the bird a few times. My little Indian Ringneck gets curious and he's fallen in more than once. Results? A wet, scared, salty little parrot and a couple scared clownfish.

I crashed my little RC helicopter into my tank last winter. It sank all the way down. Still worked though, I just rinsed it off with RO.

Last night I dropped my full skimmer cup (about 2 liters) on my kitchen floor around 2am just before I was going to bed. It splashed everywhere. All over me, my dog (in my avatar), the cabinets, the fridge, and the trash can. Needless to say, my house smelled pretty bad, and it stained my dog's hair. :lmao:

Last edited:
Some funny stories, guys. A family member of my fiancé's who is 8 years old was visiting some months ago loved to watch me feed the fish. One evening I saw that he took it upon himself to feed the fish when I noticed a piece of white bread floating in the tank. Lol. Idk if the fish had any of it but everything was fine.

A pair of sun glasses, but they came out pretty quick. No I am missing the razor blade I scrape the glass with. If it is in the tank it is hidden fairly well.

I was working on putting a fan into the canopy and dropped a screw in. I looked for an hr and could not find it. I had to go to Tractor supply and buy a powerful magnet. Got it in 2 seconds.

My four year old grandson though that it would be grand to feed my sump a 7 layer burrito and some chips one day! Daughter in law was " baby sitting" and thought he had ate all of it! Came home from work to cloudy water and chunks wizzing by, out of my returns! Nothing died, but lots of GAC and numerous water changes saved the day.

A few drops of paint. Went through the overflow, trapped by the filter sock. No oil slick. :D
Also dropped my sanity. Woudn't pay $3.00 a piece of big fat fresh delicious blue crabs but will buy a tiny emerald crab for $6.00.

Last edited:
I was drilling some aluminum heatsink last night and went to see if it will fit under the canopy. DROPPED it like it was hot straight in the tank. All the aluminum shavings went into the powerhead and straight into my corals. It was late at night so I will check the damage once I get home tonight.

Back