Fanless LED options

JohnnyBoyPerth

Hi All,

Currently running the ATi Hybrid 3foot 8globe option on my tank. While I love the lights the LED fans are annoying as hell. I have replacement them a few months ago but still getting noise.

It’s not noise from the fans hitting the metal grate, but noise from the fans spinning at high speeds. Lights aren’t in a hood or anything so not sure why that are so noisy.

In any case I want to move to something that is passively cooled. Over fans!

What is out there that is passively cooled and packs a punch. The only one I know of is the Phillips one.

My tank is 4x2x2

Noctua fans are expensive but they are really low noise fans.Maybe you could change the existing fans with noctua fans.The bigger the fan , the more silent it is and if its noctua then it wont bother you that much.A fanless led lamp should have an oversized aluminum heatsink to dissipate the heat.

ATI fans are thinner than your standard size fans so it will hard to source a replacement that wont be as loud. One thing is for certain that a drop in Noctua is not happening in the ATI. Your only option right now is the Philips Coralcare but at least its a super quality option. Two units and you will be able to grow anything in your tank.

My fans only run when the fixture gets hot. I run 90% blues and 40% whites and the fans never run and the top of the fixture is barely above room temperature. If I go100% on everything (6 channels) the fans will kick on after a few minutes. But they really don't make much noise at all. My A/C is WAY louder.

Not all fans are "noisy".. and all have a "decibel" rating.. (lower is quieter)
You can't hear the fans on any of my LED fixtures at all other than a super quiet whisper..

But fans do have a short life span and do need to be replaced due to bearing failure,etc.. which makes them "louder"

My fans have been replaced recently with the same type/brand as the original. That fixed it for a while but now noise is back.

Fans are probably 3months old

Back