Fast vs Slow Flow / Skimmer Performance

wcharon

Good Morning....

I need some advise because i am thinking if i should upgrade my skimmer soon. As the tittle says, i will like to know of the experienced people what is
the advantadge or disadvantadge if i run fast vs slow flow thru my overflow box to the sump regarding skimmer performance..

Here are my specs for reference:

125 mixed reef
Skimmer RO SRO-1000SSS (rated 540 lph)
Overflow Box Esshopps 1200 with 2 1" U-tubes (think is rated 350gph per u-tube)
Bubble Blaster Return Pump HY-5000 (rated 1300gph)
Sea Swirl 3/4 (rated 850 gph)
2 Jaebo WP-40

Thanks in advance for your advise...

ken6217

Premium Member
On paper, it might help the skimmer performance. I don't know if there would be that much difference or not.

If you got a recirculating skimmer where you can have the flow through the skimmer via a separate feed pump should make a difference.
Ken

wcharon

When you say it might help, are you referring to slow or fast thru the sump???

Thanks for clarifying...

Vinny Kreyling

Premium Member
What i think you are asking is will the flow affect how much the skimmer will work?
If the skimmer is fed by gravity then yes, flow makes a difference.
If it's fed by a separate pump then not much.

wcharon

What i think you are asking is will the flow affect how much the skimmer will work?
If the skimmer is fed by gravity then yes, flow makes a difference.
If it's fed by a separate pump then not much.

Basically yes thats my question. The skimmer SRO 1000-SSS is an insump with the pump underneath it.

maddmaxx

since your skimmer has its own independent pump. then the flow to the sump wont affect the skimmer.

In general, with a sump you want slower flow to allow more contact time with a skimmer and fuge. so i wouldnt recommend a high flow rate thru the sump. usually 8-10x turnover rate for your sump is desired..