Fast vs Slow Flow / Skimmer Performance

wcharon

Good Morning....

I need some advise because i am thinking if i should upgrade my skimmer soon. As the tittle says, i will like to know of the experienced people what is
the advantadge or disadvantadge if i run fast vs slow flow thru my overflow box to the sump regarding skimmer performance..

Here are my specs for reference:

125 mixed reef
Skimmer RO SRO-1000SSS (rated 540 lph)
Overflow Box Esshopps 1200 with 2 1" U-tubes (think is rated 350gph per u-tube)
Bubble Blaster Return Pump HY-5000 (rated 1300gph)
Sea Swirl 3/4 (rated 850 gph)
2 Jaebo WP-40

Thanks in advance for your advise...

On paper, it might help the skimmer performance. I don't know if there would be that much difference or not.

If you got a recirculating skimmer where you can have the flow through the skimmer via a separate feed pump should make a difference.
Ken

When you say it might help, are you referring to slow or fast thru the sump???

Thanks for clarifying...

What i think you are asking is will the flow affect how much the skimmer will work?
If the skimmer is fed by gravity then yes, flow makes a difference.
If it's fed by a separate pump then not much.

What i think you are asking is will the flow affect how much the skimmer will work?
If the skimmer is fed by gravity then yes, flow makes a difference.
If it's fed by a separate pump then not much.

Basically yes thats my question. The skimmer SRO 1000-SSS is an insump with the pump underneath it.

since your skimmer has its own independent pump. then the flow to the sump wont affect the skimmer.

In general, with a sump you want slower flow to allow more contact time with a skimmer and fuge. so i wouldnt recommend a high flow rate thru the sump. usually 8-10x turnover rate for your sump is desired..

there's all these talk about 3-5 or 8-10x turnover rate..

how exactly is this measured?

Back