Favorite Bay Area Fish/Coral Store?

flamehawkfish

hi All

If there's already a thread about this, please point me to it...

I'm curious to learn your preferences for LFS (local fish stores) in the Bay Area. I live in San Rafael (about 30 minutes North of San Francisco), but will drive fair distances to get to these places:

- Ocean Treasures in San Francisco (on Dubose betw Mission & Valencia): I just discovered this place. They have some great SPS and LPS- along with a good selection of clams, softies, etc. Their prices are reasonable- esp for SPS. A great place to start stocking an SPS tank. The staff is pretty informed, patient, and nice.

- Aquarium Concepts in Dublin: The variety is amazing, and the fish & coral are in overall good health. They have some nice SPS and LPS regularly. Despite good selection & quality, the prices are annoyingly high. The staff is spotty- some experienced, some not.

- 6th Ave in San Francisco: I know, I know. This place is dirty, the tanks are over-crowded, and the staff is dismissive. I have issues w' the place. Nevertheless, their prices are unbeatable. Even their dry goods can be affordable (after shopping everywhere, I bought a 95g Wave-shaped glass tank & stand from them for literally 50% less than another store in Cotati). I also got some clams, and nice coral there. The trick is to time your visits right after their live shipments arrive (coral every other Friday, and clams, anemones, and exotics on Tuesdays). I don't like the 'grab-bag' Sunday wholesale prices; the fish are in dubious health, and the risk/reward to save a few bucks isn't worth it.

So, that's my two cents. Can anyone recommend other LFS in the Bay Area beyond these three? If so, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Flamehawk

Hooray for Marin county folks!

I drive to Aquatic central on Ocean Ave. for most everything. Every once in a while I swing by Fish fish and more fish on Lombard street just because its close.

I did my rounds a few weekends in a row from this map.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1204148

Towards the bay
-Aquarium Concepts (99 Ranch around the corner)
-Atlantis Aquarium
-Ocean Treasures (But becareful not to get run over by oncoming traffic.) (Also the parking lot on the side is not theirs so you can get towed)

Towards Sac
-Exoctic Aquarium
-JoJo's Aquarium (Plus you can get Pho across the parking lot)
-Your Reef

atlantis?

atlantis?

i thought atlantis aq was around san jose,its in hayward?,mike up in sac area:rollface:

To All,

Thank you for the advice. There are some stores here that I've never visited.

I will definitely check out 'Lucky Ocean'. When I get down South, I'll go to Atlantis. I checked out their website. They look high-end, with a great variety. I might also try Vallejo Aquarium; I've never heard of them before... Thanks for the tip.

Someone mentioned 'Fish, fish, and more Fish'. For a store that size (tiny), I'd expect excellent customer service and good prices (which they lack). I don't go there at all anymore.

Take care,

Flamehawk.

Check out this BRIGHT yellow cup coral (in-tact; no cut-marks) that I got for $18.99 at 6th Ave!

That place is not for the squeemish, but it does have good deals...

2932005436_82049281c9.jpg

I know that it's off-track, but here's another pic of the true yellow cup coral I bought yesterday from 6th Ave.

I'm just geeked out on it, and need to share pics w' folks who care! : )

2932368540_8c9a99eaff.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13527356#post13527356 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flamehawkfish
I know that it's off-track, but here's another pic of the true yellow cup coral I bought yesterday from 6th Ave.

I'm just geeked out on it, and need to share pics w' folks who care! : )

2932368540_8c9a99eaff.jpg
But folks who care about the animals don't shop at 6th ave. Folks who care most about saving money do. I'm sure you can get "deals" at many places where the care of the animals is low on the priority list. I won't support that business model in our hobby and I hope other concerned hobbyists won't either. This is just my opinion.-Jim

You're insinuating that I don't "care about the animals" which isn't true. I propogate coral & breed clownfish.

For many of us, saving money is a high priority. It's that simple.

I started this thread, asking for recommendations of good Reef/coral stores in the Bay Area. If you don't like 6th Ave, instead of making sweeping statements about folks who shop there, why don't you recommend someplace else?

I am sure you care about the animals, as many of us do. Yes, going there does have it's perk ... primarily finding real low prices on livestock and dry goods. No one is going to argue about that.
But for me, I have to agree with Jim - I don't want to support a store that has the ethics and priorities that like the one mentioned above does. I'd much rather spend the additional dollar or two and support another LFS.
only my $.02.

However that is a sweet piece of cup coral - how large is it?

#1 Aquatic Gallery- My true "home" store...Dr Le is more than great! The Guys ( Billy, Zac, and Kashi are always there to calm me down and avert near disaster and they do a great job keeping the place looking tip top! )
Cheers to them!

#2 Blue Ocean- Love the small atmosphere and the people are extremely nice and willing to help in any way!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13533619#post13533619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beaupierce
#1 Aquatic Gallery- My true "home" store...Dr Le is more than great! The Guys ( Billy, Zac, and Kashi are always there to calm me down and avert near disaster and they do a great job keeping the place looking tip top! )
Cheers to them!

#2 Blue Ocean- Love the small atmosphere and the people are extremely nice and willing to help in any way!
Agree

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13532028#post13532028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flamehawkfish
You're insinuating that I don't "care about the animals" which isn't true. I propogate coral & breed clownfish.

For many of us, saving money is a high priority. It's that simple.

I started this thread, asking for recommendations of good Reef/coral stores in the Bay Area. If you don't like 6th Ave, instead of making sweeping statements about folks who shop there, why don't you recommend someplace else?
I had no idea if you were a regular at 6th ave or just a first time shopper. I wasn't making a judgment about you or your coral, which looks dyed btw. I really just wanted to alert you to the fact that 6th ave. has a poor reputation re: husbandry practices and the repeated stocking of unsuitable species.
I also place a high priority on saving money in this hobby but I wouldn't shop at Petco to save a few bucks, I'd either do without, or contract my hobby to fit within a budget that allowed me to shop at places I felt ok about. As before, it's just my opinion but I think shops that don't prioritize animal care aren't worth supporting in any way.

I would like to add Neptune Aquatics as a great LFS to go to not only for their healthy livestock, but for Robert's help as well. He's always willing to talk to you and answer your questions.

Back