Feeding pre-frozen jumbo brown shrimp

MCCOOL

Tonight for the first time, I used a cheese grater to grate up some brown shrimp from the grocery store for my fish. All my fish (wrasses, anthias, firefish, etc.) loved it, and I'm considering doing it on a regular basis.

Does anyone else do this on a regular basis? Any downsides to it? I decapsulated them before freezing, and they grated up nicely. I've read they are nutritious for humans (I don't personally eat them), can I assume they are fairly nutritious for our fish as well?

The key to feeding store bought frozen seafood to our fish is finding a product that does not contain any triopolyphoshates and other preservatives. The majority of frozen and even some fresh seafood is loaded with phosphates as preservatives.

Phosphates+Aquarium= :(

I have found a seafood mix at trader joes that contained Bay Scallop, Medium White Shrimp and Squid. The best part, those are the only three ingredients.

~Michael

Thanks for the info Michael, I'll have to check that out. I'd hate to be adding unnecessary phosphates to the tank

A great food, shell and all. Avoid the imported, farm raised shrimp. many of them are FW and come from Vietnam, with very little regulation. Wild caught, American shrimp are safer (IMO) and the higher price is nothing. Feeding these shrimp is very common in our hobby; from whole shrimp for big lions and grouper to grated bits. BTW: how do you decapsulate a shrimp?

Haha "decapsulate" might of been the wrong word, sorry I'm not a seafood eater. "de-shell" might of been a better term, I just pulled the shells off all of the shrimp before I froze them. So the shell is ok to feed as well? That would've saved me some time :lolspin:

Haha "decapsulate" might of been the wrong word, sorry I'm not a seafood eater. "de-shell" might of been a better term, I just pulled the shells off all of the shrimp before I froze them. So the shell is ok to feed as well? That would've saved me some time :lolspin:

I feed the shell when feeding larger fish; the shell is great for triggers 7 puffer teeth. It just made a mess when I tried to grate one shell & all. Make yourself some shrimp scampi, wonderful stuff; given 4 stars by Forest Gump.

Scorpaeniformes are fine with "shell-on" as well.

Another food that we grate is salmon...even our OSFF pair love it.

Scorpaeniformes are fine with "shell-on" as well.

Another food that we grate is salmon...even our OSFF pair love it.

Yeah, shell-on shrimp are a staple for my Volitans.
A lot of people stay away from salmon, they consider it fatty; but it isn't. . My fish love it too, IMO, it is an excellent food and I'm convinced (without any real reason) that it is a natural color-enhancer. I stay away from farmed salmon, though. I figure that if I don't like it, the fish won't either.

Get her new Salad Shooter for your anniversary. That should make her forgive everything you've ever done. True romance isn't dead!

You guys just cost me some money as I just ordered one. Hmmmm, should I mention this to my wife? Will she take it over? Should I get two of them?

Back