Filter Sock

Fr3eB

Quick question! Is it necessary to install a filter sock in the sump/refugium if you already running a protein skimmer? Opinions are greatly appreciated

If you don't enjoy daily maintenance I wouldn't run a sock... that said if your tank is lacking nitrates adding a sock may be beneficial as it will trap tonnes of crap that can break down for you...

If you don't enjoy daily maintenance I wouldn't run a sock... that said if your tank is lacking nitrates adding a sock may be beneficial as it will trap tonnes of crap that can break down for you...
Thanks!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

they do keep free floating debris minimized in the tank but like the above poster said, require that you changed them out and wash them regularly. a skimmer isn't going to do much for mechanical filtration but will help you remove excess nutrients and having one allows a less frequent water change schedule.
I personally don't run filter socks anymore but I don't have an issue with occasionally cleaning my sump if detritus starts to collect.

No tank needs a filter sock..

The function of a skimmer and a filter sock are totally different..

No filter sock needed.
I use one occasionally on maintainance day if I'm stirring up a lot of crap but that's it

No tank needs a filter sock..

The function of a skimmer and a filter sock are totally different..

Technically they are the same, both are forms of mechanical filtration, just using two different mechanisms... one media the other air bubbles (fractionation)... both mechanically remove solids though...

I use them, but they are kind of a pain. They have to be changed and cleaned enough to make them extra work that sometimes I want to go without, but the pull enough stuff from the water that they really help to polish the water.

Technically they are the same, both are forms of mechanical filtration, just using two different mechanisms... one media the other air bubbles (fractionation)... both mechanically remove solids though...

A skimmer is chemical filtration removing compounds dissolved in the water
Filter sock is mechanical..

I think that is a myth. If you dont clean your filter socks, then the material collected in the sock will break down and create nutrients. IF there is no filter sock then that same material will break down and create nutrients. If you rinse your socks a couple times a week then the material collected will be removed and not have time to break down.

I turn off my return while feeding and leave it off for 1/2 hour or so....I change my socks every 2 weeks and have no nitrate or phosphate....

A skimmer is chemical filtration removing compounds dissolved in the water
Filter sock is mechanical..

I don't see how there is anything chemical going in in a skimmer... tiny bubbles are injected into the water column, particulates and dissolved solids stick in the surface tension of the bubbles, bubbles rise, skimmate is collected in a cup...i would consider that mechanical as there is no chemicals added to the water...

Lanthenum chloride is a chemical compound sometimes used in reef tanks that chemically binds to PO4... that I would consider chemical filtration...

The only thing I hate more than a chemical filtration debate is a nitrate factory debate lol.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll run the socks and just keep up with the maintenance.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The only thing I hate more than a chemical filtration debate is a nitrate factory debate lol.

There is really nothing to debate in either topic..
The hard part is making people understand and accept the facts after hearing the BS for so long.. ;)

Socks don't make nitrates...

Filter socks are really just fuzzy storage solutions for trapping/keeping the compounds in one localized area..

The hard part is making people understand and accept the facts after hearing the BS for so long.. ;)

Filter socks are really just fuzzy storage solutions for trapping/keeping the compounds in one localized area..
I just upgraded and have to change mine every 2 days. Do you use socks mcgyvr? As always on point with info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I completely agree. My fish tank is the nitrate factory. If nitrates aren't being produced in your filter sock, then they will be produced somewhere else in your system.

Do you use socks mcgyvr?

Just on my feet to keep from getting blisters.. ;)

My tank is sockless as I believe in letting whatever a sock would normal "store" to instead flow through the system around and around to potentially be consumed as food by filter feeders/corals,etc.....

I do have provisions to run a sock if I want during maintenance but I will never run one on a normal basis..

Back