Finally an easy solution to bryopsis!

Day 5 pic as promised:

bryopsis5.jpg

You can really see the progress in this pic I think. There's a hermit apparently cleaning up the remains.

Here's a pic showing my chaeto (taken today) which shows that it looks to be completely unaffected by the magnesium:

chaeto.jpg

Brilliant! I love it when serendipity meets brains and ingenuity. It's how we all learn!

I'm currently 2 months into 'rock cooking' episode, due to briopsis. I figured I need another 1 or 2 months to make sure it's dead. Sounds like maybe upping the MG in the 'cooking tank' would help ensure it's dead?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9875680#post9875680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 20 20
I'm currently 2 months into 'rock cooking' episode, due to briopsis. I figured I need another 1 or 2 months to make sure it's dead. Sounds like maybe upping the MG in the 'cooking tank' would help ensure it's dead?

Based on other's experiences, cooking the rocks won't usually kill the bryopsis. It can live with no lights and extremely little nutrients for a long, long time. So, yes I'd up the magnesium in your cooking tank to somewhere between 1500 and 1600. The bryopsis should be all gone within two weeks (most of it will be gone in 1 week, based on my experience).

Very interesting...

Bump - Maybe someone in the plant/algae field nows more about this.

Interesting, very interesting. Chewie just lmk about this thread and i have a freind that has been battling this algae for close to a year now. He has done everything twallace stated to no avail. I will let him know and see if i can get him to take pictures of the progress as it goes.
Thanks twallace.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9876967#post9876967 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr.gaboozlebag
Do you know if this would work with other kinds of algae?

I didn't have othe nuisance algae at the time but the high mag levels had no ill effects on coraline, Halimeda, Gracillaria, a few different Caulerpa sp., Botryocladia, and a few other macroalgaes.
If it is in fact the magnesium levels the killed the Bryopsis I don't think it will work on many other algae species.

Yep, here's a pic I took last night of the same rock:

bryopsis6.jpg

There's barely any bryopsis left on the rock.

Can we see a FTS, did you happen to take before and afters of the FTS or just that area?
Cheers

Sorry, didn't take any FTS before the treatment. This particular rock was one of the worst spots in the tank, though, which is why I picked it.

I did have a minor tank incident this morning. I spent the night at my GF's place last night. When I got home this morning I noticed a strange noise coming from the tank. The return pump was sucking in air. The cause of this was the bryopsis in the fuge was falling apart and getting blown out into the main tank. The trouble with that is there was an astrea snail in the output tube. The dying bryopsis got stuck on the astrea snail, restricting the output of the refugium, which caused it to overflow, which then caused the sump to run low. I moved the snail and pulled out the dying bryopsis from the refugium to fix the flow.

Then I did something stupid. I poured water into my kalk top off bucket (I should have just poured it in the sump directly instead), which mixed with the kalk at the bottom of the bucket. The bucket then pumped that freshly mixed kalk into the tank, making the water very cloudy. I did a 25% water change, but all 4 of my clams (3 crocea, 1 derasa) have been spawning today as a result of the kalk. Nothing else seems affected and the water is finally clearing up now. I know that clams spawn when they're stressed. I don't know if clam eggs/sperm are detrimental to the system. This is the first time they've spawned.

Clam eggs and sperm will do nothing but good for the tank--it's good coral food. And don't worry about the kalk addition either. Many people add a freshyly mixed slurry of kalk nightly with no ill effects. The water will clear and it will be fine. If anything, the extra pH boost will help kill off the Bryopsis.

Christine

I doubt it is spawning. As filter feeders, that is the way they will expell the suspended precipitated carbonate that they filtered out from the water column.

Once one has reached and maintained the 1600 Mg level - how do you get it down to 1280 again? Water changes?

Back