Finally an easy solution to bryopsis!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9894817#post9894817 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by neelix
Just to make sure I have this straight, you are saying 10 parts mag flake to 1 part epsom salts? The formula I used was 7.25 cups mag to 3/4 ES. Since I use kalk for calcium support.
7.25 to .75 is a ratio of 9.7:1, close enough to 10:1

can i just say you have made my day with this thread!! you really have i have had the same issue and i will be crazy amounts of Mag. in the morning to get rid of this stuff!! THANK YOU!!!!!

This is amazing, revolutionary information! OK, maybe an exaggeration, but I'm incredibly happy to have stumbled onto this thread. I've been pruning bryopsis for more than a year, and I'm ready to take down my 30g tank and upgrade. I've actually fragged out all of my corals that were infested with bryopsis, and they're sitting on an egg crate rack so I can sort of quarantine them until my new tank is up and running. I've cut away and disposed of a lot of coral as I do not want to infect my new tank, and I've gotten rid of many of the LR that has constantly been a nuissance due to bryopsis. I think I'll give this hyper-Mg a try -- are there many others out there who can confirm the success of this treatment?

Thanks so much for sharing this information! If this pans out to work this well in other tanks, with few downsides to the other tank inhabitants, this would be ThOTM material!

Extremely interesting. Having lost a tank to Bryopsis algae, despite trying every method of removal ever suggested, I'll keep this idea handy. It will be interesting to see the results of others trying the cure.

Is this a permanent solution or will the bryopsis return when Mag goes down and nutrients rise?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9900175#post9900175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AIMFish
Is this a permanent solution or will the bryopsis return when Mag goes down and nutrients rise?

I'm not sure. I imagine if my magnesium goes back down, the bryopsis may return. I'll take that as a sign that my magnesium is low though and raise it up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9901991#post9901991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
better purchase a Mg test kit- Salifert makes an easy to use accurate Mg test ;)

Salifert is on B/O. I couldn't find it anywhere. Ordered a Sera Mag kit instead.

After breaking down a 90 because of bryopsis (and majano and anthellia infestations), I was heartbroken to see it start to grow in my now 10 month old 180 reef even though I started that tank completely "sterile." I am so very glad that someone may have potentially found an easy solution to getting rid of this algal menace. I'll let you all know how I make out. Thanks so much for this info!

If you've been following the other thread on Reef Frontiers, there has been some side effects for some people. Namely some corals/anemones bleached, but did not die. In my tank, a pulsing sinularia and my yellow polyped toadstool leathers all bleached. All of my yellow toadstools are frags from the same parent colony. My green polyped toadstool did not bleach. Others have had zoanthids bleach (but none of my thousands of zoanthids were affected). Someone had a BTA bleach, though my GBTA did not. So far I haven't heard of anything that died from the magnesium overdose. Seems to be mostly softies that can bleach from this.

<<< Seems to be mostly softies that can bleach from this. >>>

It's possible that some people are dosing magnesium and raising levels too quickly, or aren't testing to know their exact levels, or the enhanced mag is altering other water parameters.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9908119#post9908119 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HowardW
<<< Seems to be mostly softies that can bleach from this. >>>

It's possible that some people are dosing magnesium and raising levels too quickly, or aren't testing to know their exact levels, or the enhanced mag is altering other water parameters.
Or as I mentioned before it can also be that the supplement being used for magnesium may be increasing the levels of Sulfates disproportionately.

I know a lot of people that have been using this technique are using Kent Tech M for magnesium. Marine Depot lists the contents: <i>Deionized water containing the following elements (as ions): magnesium, chlorine, sulfur, calcium, potassium, bromine, strontium, boron, fluorine, lithium, rubidium, iodine, iron, molybdenum, zinc, nickel, copper, manganese, vanadium, cesium, cobalt, tungsten, selenium, and chromium.</i>

So does anyone know biologically what is happening? I know Mg is part of chlorophyll A & B but what is actually going on that is killing it?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9893244#post9893244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randall_James
Where did they mention this? I guess I missed that part as did someone else

Reef Frontiers - the link in the OP.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9909193#post9909193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TWallace
I know a lot of people that have been using this technique are using Kent Tech M for magnesium. Marine Depot lists the contents: <i>Deionized water containing the following elements (as ions): magnesium, chlorine, sulfur, calcium, potassium, bromine, strontium, boron, fluorine, lithium, rubidium, iodine, iron, molybdenum, zinc, nickel, copper, manganese, vanadium, cesium, cobalt, tungsten, selenium, and chromium.</i>
Magnesium, Chlorine and Sulfur Ions come from the mix of Magnesium Sulfate and Magnesium Chloride which are the main ingredients. Also it might contain Magnesium Borate judgeing by the content of boron, this again to better balance the ions. Anything else is probably just traces coming as minor impurities of the main constituents.

in plainspeak:
monitor Mg with an accurate test kit and raise the level slowly.
An "overdose" might not be necessary in all cases to eliminate Bryopsis.
You might be able to overcome a nuisance Bryopsis problem by simply maintaining Mg at a level around 1350ppm.

Back