Finally an easy solution to bryopsis!

roberto,
Please elaborate on the product that you used.
thanks for posting, Rodney

Ok, I'll try to elaborate a little more.

The product was developed by a friend of mine that is quemistry. About 4 months ago this plague appears on my reef and dominate ALL my rocks. I almost quit from the hobby because i was frustrated. I have the best equiments, I really take care of my reef but, I was not prepared to this.

So, this friend says "I'll make a product for you that will kill this algae", then, 10 days later he send me two bottles with 80ML each and says:

Put this bottle on a microwave for 3 minutes and then apply over the algaes with a pippete (still hot). o i did without fear because he said that the product is calcium carbonate based so my corals will like it.

Then, the miracle happens. On a 1.250Litres i used 80ML only and 48 hours later almost 80% of algae has gone. On next 4 days the algae keep going and one week later NO SIGNS of briopsys on my reef.

I instantly post a HUGE thanks for him on our national forum (www.reefcorner.org) and too many people are using with NOT a single case of failure or lost of any animals.

If anyone need, I'll try to send the product to other countries so. Add me on msn (roberto_mrtruck@hotmail.com) and i'll pass the inventor's contact and directions for use.

I'mm really happy that we now have a really efficient Briopsys, valonia and green hair algae killer.

I hope i can help everyone. SOrry for my english.

Roberto

Things to do to get ready to dose Kent Tech-M to treat bryopsis

Things to do to get ready to dose Kent Tech-M to treat bryopsis

I just got my mag test kit and kent tech m. I am currently at 1290 ppm. Any suggestions before I start?

Hello, Jay. I strongly recommend:
- that right before, or right as you begin dosing with the Kent Tech-M, that you aggressively pluck as much bryopsis as you can;
- make sure your phosphates are below 0.8ppm (ideally undetectable - GFO works great for this) and that your nitrates are less than 10ppm
- you want to raise the Magnesium level quickly, but no faster than by 100ppm per day.
- I also suggest removing activated carbon during the treatment. The hypothesis here is that Kent Tech-M works so well because of some mystery ingredient, and we don't want it getting removed by activated carbon

Hope this helps.

Hello, Jay. I strongly recommend:
- that right before, or right as you begin dosing with the Kent Tech-M, that you aggressively pluck as much bryopsis as you can;
- make sure your phosphates are below 0.8ppm (ideally undetectable - GFO works great for this) and that your nitrates are less than 10ppm
- you want to raise the Magnesium level quickly, but no faster than by 100ppm per day.
- I also suggest removing activated carbon during the treatment. The hypothesis here is that Kent Tech-M works so well because of some mystery ingredient, and we don't want it getting removed by activated carbon

Hope this helps.

+1 - I did the "shock and awe" method - dosed 100ppm per day until it reached 1700. No bryopsis since.

Sounds good. I will do a water change today (second this week), then I will test the mag to get an accurate reading right before I start and then do 100ppm per day until it is gone. thanks for the advice folks.

small update... did a 10 gallon change, and tested at 1290 still. I'm going to use the calculator to get it up 100ppm per day till its gone. How do you measure for Mg above 1500ppm with the salifert kit?

I over estimated my total water volume a bit. I did the calculations for 25 gallons, but I guess I'm closer to 20 gallons. So I over did the max daily reccomended amount by about 40%. I hope it doesn't have an adverse effect on anything. I was shooting to go from 1290ppm to 1390ppm today, but I ended at 1430. Should I cut back todays dose to 60ppm up, or stick to the shock and awe at 100ppm again?

I over estimated my total water volume a bit. I did the calculations for 25 gallons, but I guess I'm closer to 20 gallons. So I over did the max daily reccomended amount by about 40%. I hope it doesn't have an adverse effect on anything. I was shooting to go from 1290ppm to 1390ppm today, but I ended at 1430. Should I cut back todays dose to 60ppm up, or stick to the shock and awe at 100ppm again?

there is a very large margin for error when dosing Mg, in other words its hard to overdose it :)

You should be ok. Just recalculate the amount for a 100ppm increase.

When you get to the max of 1500 using the Salifert test kit, refill the syringe and keep adding, then add the 2 totals together.
Hope that makes sense.

Yes that makes plenty of sense, what do you all think max ppm should be? I couldn't really sense a consensus from reading this thread.

Sorry to revive an old thread. Thread was too long, didn't read it. What's the consensus on kent vs magflake? I've heard that kent has some magic chemical that makes it better for the bryopsis killin' Is it just the elevated Mg? Anyone have same results with the ice melt?

has anyone found magnesium NOT to work? My Mg is at 1700 and the bryopsis is still growing! I read somewhere to bring the Mg to 1800 and then increase the alk to 13 so I am in the process of doing that.

The other day I took apart my tank and scrubbed off the rocks as best I could but there are some remnants.

this stuff is frustrating!!!

kris

has anyone found magnesium NOT to work? My Mg is at 1700 and the bryopsis is still growing!

While I've not read all of what folks have posted to this thread, last I followed these issues it clearly was not magnesium that causes the effect (IMO), so depending on what you add to the tank, it may work or not. Not all types or brands of magnesium supplement work.

kent mg works well for bryopsis. and also tried magnesion-p from brightwell but didn't have enough bryopsis initially to see a difference but it did keep it in check.

Just FYI - we are watching you Jack :)

come on Mitch, been a member here for 3 years and still cant see sale threads. I've got to get to 50 posts but I don't want to run around +1ing everything. Plus it's embarrassing to talk to your close friends about your problems :)

Back